Noisy neighbor problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2012, 10:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Noisy neighbor problem

My next door neighbor has a car stereo with a sub-woofer. He always plays it with the trunk fully open (where the sub-woofer is) and the car doors partially open. The sound level he plays it at usually not really something I could complain about but by the time the sound reaches my room I can only hear the bass notes. I find that so irritating.

I want to build a amplified sub-woofer and some way to reverse the phase of my speaker so it would cancel out the noise from my neighbor.

Any ideas?
Old 20th June 2012, 06:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

U can't do it. Find another solution, may be amicable.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Get a loud stereo of your own, and play polka music at him.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Through:

Dayton Audio RPH20 20" Round PA Horn 300-196
Old 21st June 2012, 01:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Walk over to his house, knock on the door, explain your concern & give him a chance to do the right thing. If he takes it great...if not unleash the dogs of war!
Old 21st June 2012, 02:01 AM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
... unleash the dogs of war!
Or if you're on Oahu, call Dog the bounty hunter.
Old 21st June 2012, 02:54 AM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Get a loud stereo of your own, and play polka music at him.
I've found that the Celtic Bagpipes CD did me proud when called upon.
Especially:
Muckin' O'Geordie's Byre
and
We're No Awa' Tae Bide Awa'
Old 21st June 2012, 06:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, even the humorous ones.

I still have my mind set on building a "Noise Cancellation" system but I'm not an engineer, I have some technical know-how like building amps and speakers but not how to design something from scratch.

Noise Cancelling Headphones are commonplace now, why not have a Noise Cancelling System?

Mouser offers parts for them: Audio Applications - Noise Cancellation
Old 21st June 2012, 06:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You can recognize the difference in scale between headphones being worn and the neighbor's car. You would need to capture the offending signal with a microphone, process it, and send it to a power amp and transducer. And even then, with a working model, I'd bet the results would be less than satisfactory. A bottomless R&D budget may not even be an answer. It'd probably be easier to build a pulse beam weapon that fried his electronic circuits.
Old 21st June 2012, 07:18 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

If it's only the bass getting through and your neighbour always parks in the same place, you stand more chance of being able to do what you want, I would think. One or more microphones outside the house to pick up the offending sounds before they reach you (and which would pick up less of your cancellation signal), then probably several speakers in the 'quiet zone' to generate the cancellation. The key would be a DSP FIR filter that could be trained adaptively through feedback from a microphone placed inside the 'zone' to produce the correcting signals. Getting a sufficient quantity, and wide enough range of training examples might be a problem. You'd place the interior microphone at many locations in order to get the best overall cancellation throughout the zone. The smaller the zone, the better the results I would imagine. Or if the DSP system knew where you were, once trained it could automatically adjust to follow you around the room.

All very easy to say, of course!

Hide this!Advertise here!