Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2012, 09:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default [Q] traveling to London -- where to go, what to bring back (DIY audio)

Hi, I am traveling to LDN from US,
looking for suggestions for things to buy (amp, pre-amp kits,/etc)
or other things that are otherwise more difficult to get in US.

also are there stores or group meets to visit in the area?
(I am staying in central part)

thx
Old 15th June 2012, 09:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The beer over there, at least Guiness, is vastly superior to, the Guiness available here. By US law, beer must be pasteurized, which ruins the flavor. So drink lots of good beer while in London.

I'm not aware of anything electronic/audio related which can't be purchased here at equal or lower prices.
Old 15th June 2012, 09:52 PM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You should have visited London 40 years ago. Then you could have bought loads of cheap electronics in Lisle Street, Tottenham Court Road and Edgware Road. Not today. In the UK we now have to use mail order or ebay.
Old 15th June 2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Tajzmaj is offline Tajzmaj  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

I live here but I must say that central London is't best place to diy...
Only similar thing here is Maplin.
But it is a lot of other things...and a lot of bad weather last few months.
I'm in Camden so if you want I will make some Eary Grey.
Cheers, Taj
Old 15th June 2012, 10:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Guiness is Irish, and the rest of the beer there sucks! Uh, oh, them's fighting words! E
Old 15th June 2012, 10:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have been surprised at the cost of drive units in the UK. For example a Fostex FX120 is about $125 (US) at Madisound and yet in the UK it sells for about $190US. Now you might get it without their VAT (Value Added Tax) if you're taking it back to the US (may not either) but it would still be well "north" of a locally sourced unit....
EDIT. Sorry just done some more research. The $190 is EXCLUDING VAT! So that's about the best you'll get!

There may be some boutique/vintage items around that would be hard to get at home but 'the run of the mill' items don't seem very attractive.
Cheers, Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Bright; 15th June 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 15th June 2012, 11:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Most things in Europe are more expensive. The money for all the services, the public is acoustomed to there, must be paid for through taxes. Profits on taxes on profits. Taxes in Canada are higher, partially because of our universal healthcare system (please no debate here!) than the USA, also our geography does not help, much.
If you want to bring anything back, check with the US revenue agency first. From what I recall: stuff older than 100 years is tax/duty free. E
Old 16th June 2012, 08:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

thx for the replies. Will just enjoy the scenery.

global economy, I guess, smooths product availability, and the only difference in price for shippable products - is related to the cost of living (which relates to taxation cost of public services, litigation costs and defense spending).
Old 16th June 2012, 02:20 PM   #9
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

We have an established system here in the UK which ensures that most of the profit for almost any goods goes not to the producer or the retailer but the person in between - the wholesaler or food processor or importer. Even stuff made here can be more expensive here than in other nearby countries.

If I have a bright idea to make a widget and sell it I probably won't make any money from it.

If I can buy widgets at 5 and sell them at 25 then I am an entrepreneur and can become a successful businessman and network with politicians.
Old 16th June 2012, 03:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Don't complain, DF96, your country gave us modern democrtic government and the unions! E

Hide this!Advertise here!