Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2012, 07:40 PM   #11
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

more complicated for sure, but what you do for speakers is still very valid for earbuds! the only headphone that seems to have the response you are after is the Audeze, 10 db down in the highs with no bass roll off.
Old 19th June 2012, 08:37 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I once started on a quest to find my ideal headphones, and auditioned many pairs, with basically money no object (those were the days!). As you say, each type seemed to have its own characteristics, none of which I liked at all. Not just frequency response, it seemed to me, but something to do with how they handled dynamics.

In the end I decided to try making some of my own, and started by buying a pair of big, cheapish Philips, intending to use them as the donor 'housings'. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were superb! Exactly what I was looking for sound-wise. Really, really good. I liked them so much that I bought another two pairs just to be on the safe side. The weird thing, however, was that the two new pairs sounded completely different, and different to each other. One of them was so harsh I could hardly listen to them. Just cheapo headphones, but it did make me wonder whether headphones suffer from more 'piece-to-piece' variation than, say, speakers.

I later bought some much more up-market Philips headphones, but still based on similar transducers. They were terrible! All bass and treble with nothing in between. I sent them back.
Old 19th June 2012, 08:46 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Cool story. One of the best headphones I've had cost me almost nothing, and they sounded great. Dont remember the brand name, but it was clearly a far-east type of product. Sadly they just fell apart, and no amount of duct tape could save them in the end...
Old 20th June 2012, 07:31 AM   #14
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

I would hope the big brands keep a tight control on their production lines, like SEAS does for the Excel series.. The thing is, it's very difficult to really love headphones when you listen to dipole speakers every day..
there use to be some good earbuds in the past, cheap, like the Sony MDR 71SL.

Last edited by lolo; 20th June 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 20th June 2012, 08:16 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
there use to be some good earbuds in the past, cheap, like the Sony MDR 71SL.
For me it's the JVC HA-FX34. Very balanced sound for such cheap earbuds.
Old 30th June 2012, 05:28 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I think that you should look at orthodynamic headphones if you want bass extension. These drivers need to be choked of air to reduce the bass relative to the treble. The drivers in the Fostex T20rp and T50rp (same drivers) are great and can easily be tuned to have wonderfully flat (an fast) bass extension.

Up the top end I don't think that you can escape EQ if you want neutrality. It's not possible to tune a headphone to match the HRTFs of different people. Our ears put different loads on the acoustic chamber.
Old 1st July 2012, 05:26 AM   #17
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

My latest headphones cost $25 (used), and don't sound bad: Sony MDR-V600. I'd say the bass is more natural than the MDR-V900.

I'm suspicious of those graphs that show a drastic bass rolloff... could there be something wrong with the test method?

Hide this!Advertise here!