IR remote extension? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2012, 09:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default IR remote extension?

Ok so my room is getting very cramped, mainly due to my gecko rack housing my components. I'm thinking about moving everything into the spare room closet, fitting some wall plates and running the wires and cable through the roof.

I all ready run my PJ cables through the roof, so i know my way around up there pretty well now.

Speaker cables would be easy, a set of Banana plates in each corner, nice and neat. Power cable wise, being in a closet, i'm not really fussy, for my PJ i just run an extension cable out through the man hole, and it plugs into the garage, so i'd probably do the same...

So all i'd really need is a IR extension, for the blue ray, and pre amp, i'd imagine a 2 device kit wouldn't cost that much?

Does anyone have any kits they have used and would reccomend, preferably available in Australia? I don't want to buy a kit and find out it has lots of issues after going to all the trouble...

Last edited by FunBucket; 10th June 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10th June 2012, 02:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

google IR Remote Repeater and get lots of sites. E
Old 11th June 2012, 12:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Mickey,

I've been looking around, but there's literally hundreds of them. I don't really want to be somewhat of guinea pig on a device that no ones bought before, or just simply doesn't work.
Old 19th June 2012, 09:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Vishay TSOP98238 works very well. There is an application note in the data sheet. It's not a kit, but should be simple to build.

Vishay - IR receiver modules - TSOP98238 - IR Sensor Module for Remote Control Systems

- Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ir_circuit.jpg (32.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 19th June 2012, 09:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Funbucket
I bought one of these:
(but from overseas source )

IR Repeater Remote Control Extender Kit work with Foxtl | eBay

was originally this:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

Works a treat!

At the time it was much cheaper than local BUT had to substitute power point power pack wall wart thingo. had one lying around - should only be worth a few $ ($20 or so from Jaycar--but look in your spare parts drawer

also is the jaycar kit version if you could be bothered..

IR Remote Extender MKII Kit - Jaycar Electronics

cheers
Old 25th June 2012, 08:52 PM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Marantz RC3001 remote comes with an RF "base station" with a bunch of IR transmitters. The base station is optional (if I'm interpreting the manual correctly), because the remote can send IR directly, but RF means you could control the system from more than one location without needing to wire up extra IR receivers.

Original list price was $349, but there's a bunch on eBay for about 1/3 that. I found one at a garage sale in the nice end of town. I haven't done more than just plug it in to recharge (the remote has a NiMH 4xAAA pack inside), so I can't comment on how functional it is.

X10 may have something similar. And somewhere (maybe X10) I saw a gizmo which clipped onto an IR remote to retransmit the signals as RF; that would let you use the stock remotes.

Last edited by dangus; 25th June 2012 at 09:01 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!