Car PA system to play sound file - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2012, 02:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Car PA system to play sound file

I'm new here, but I found this website while trying to research a project and thought that you guys might be able to help.

I have a rally car with a dixie air horn that I like to blow when cruising past spectator areas. The problem? It's not loud enough, and I don't like having to hold the horn button down the entire time it plays.

So what I need is volume + one press play.

My initial idea was a PA system with a 100w speaker and maybe hooking it up to something that will play a sound file with the press of a button. Does that sound reasonable? Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this happen?
Old 7th June 2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There are certainly electronic versions of this that take the place of real horns. They do a lot of other sounds, too. Is that what you are looking for?
Old 7th June 2012, 12:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've seen those, but they don't seem to be as loud as the airhorn version, which isn't that loud either. Volume control would be cool though, as I only need it to be super loud at certain times. The most important thing to me is the ability to hit 1 simple, large button to play the 1 sound I want. The electronic versions I saw either play 1-3 sounds from a keyfab remote control, or have a controller with a bunch of buttons on it, both of which would be difficult to press while trying to control the rally car while sliding around turns.
Old 7th June 2012, 01:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here's a sample of what I do (that's me in the Jeep): STPR 2012 - Stage 14 - Fahnestock - YouTube

I think the airhorns actually got quieter as the event went on due to dust in the horns.

Hide this!Advertise here!