Car Audio to Home Theater Conversion Question(s) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2012, 10:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Car Audio to Home Theater Conversion Question(s)

I have two Kicker 6x9's. They are the older DX69's. They are comparable to the DS693's. Here are the necessary specs for those who know better than I do.

Sensitivity: 92 dB at 1 watt

Frequency Response: 30 - 20k Hz

RMS Power Range (Watts): 2 - 70

Peak Power Handling (Watts): 140

Impedance (Ohms): 4

Will this product meet this need to create a Left-Right Channel / Stereo setup for a small home theater audio system?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882180022

The speakers have the standard Red and Black / Positive and Negative Input slots. As with most car audio, it will need exposed wire inserted into these slots. What more will I need? For example will I need a specific type of speaker wire? I'm not sure how to go about doing this. The reason I want to go this route is to save a little money by keeping my purchases to a minimum and to improve the audio experience over what the HDTV speakers provide.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Wayland

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/...y/Speakers.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/...egPosSlots.jpg

I hope this helps.
Old 28th June 2012, 08:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can use these speakers for home audio but why would you want to? True a speaker is a speaker and as long as your amplifier can drive a 4 ohm load you will be fine. You will need to build enclosures for these speakers if they are not already in boxes. A much easier way to go would be to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers. Polk Audio model T-15 speakers sound wonderful, look good, and are only about 50 bucks a pair.
Old 1st July 2012, 05:32 AM   #3
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Those links don't work for me. But, I suggest trolling thrift stores and garage sales. You can often find good speakers selling for next to nothing. My computer speakers are Canadian-made Energy Excels and cost $6 for the pair. A few weeks ago I couldn't pass up a pair of Optimus LX5 speakers for $10 a pair. Dolby Digital capable AV receivers can sell for as little as $20. Even a plain old '70s stereo receiver combined with a pair of walnut veneer bookshelf speakers will sound miles better than any built-in TV speakers.

Just watch out for rotten or missing surrounds on older speakers. Repairing those can be a DIY job, but if you have a choice, go with speakers that have rubber surrounds.

Hide this!Advertise here!