buying used speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2012, 03:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Default buying used speakers?

Anyone have any suggestions on what to look & listen to when buying used speakers?
Old 6th July 2013, 05:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

cheap for 1 why wouldn't you buy the new ones then they'll be someone to sell it cheaper tomorrow(or next mounth or so) if there pricy (90% of the time)
try to test them first if you can check if there all working without fault
make sure they have foam or rubber thats good
if its hot like Phoenix Airazona they better be rubber if there outside foam and rubber is ok inside foams usually better inside and if its cold foam
check the inside make sure you did research and there the original speaker i've never ran into that but i know it happens
o and research a few websites that aren't trying to sell them get about 8 to 20 opions online count each on and see what there all about
and make sure its what you want i've heard 400+ dollar equipment i don't like
i read a guy who hates sansui i think there the holy grail for cheap good stuff he liked pokes and my cozen said he heard the 1000+ pokes and he thinks they all sounded off and not great
o and before the 70's ish area they have a gernaly softer sound more mids i love it but you may like the hard pierce your ear sound
it gets tricky when you add your ear into what you want and its about YOUR ear
Old 6th July 2013, 05:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you want to buy used speakers consider these things:

a) Do all drivers look good and original?
b) Bring your "own" music...the one you like and now very well.
c) consider this, a good speaker can sound bad with a "mediocre" amp. so make sure the amp is a good one when you test the speakers.
d) if speakers are not too big...lift them and "shake" them. sometimes the magnet from back of drivers get loose.
e) make sure each drivers are playing.

The first thing is "visual" check... then go deep and play some music that YOU like. Some speakers "tent" to sound a little bit metallic or too bright that at the end are FATIGUING to listen to for too long. Metal drivers are most the time too bright. at the end it is all up to your ears!

PS: it is not so easy to know what kind of rough or soft life an used speakers had.
Old 13th July 2013, 09:28 AM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's nice to do a sine wave sweep from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, since that'll show up any rattles or buzzes or whines due to mechanical resonances. If you don't have a portable function generator, there's probably an app for a smartphone or tablet.

If speakers are going really cheap, I just press the woofers to feel and listen for a rubbing voice coil, then use an AA battery to do a click test. You should see woofer movement, and hear a click from the tweeter as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!