ADDC: "measure the unmeasurable"!? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2012, 05:32 PM   #1
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Lightbulb ADDC: "measure the unmeasurable"!?

Have a look at this site:

Measure not measurable signals with the greatest precision

This guy claims to be able to measure signal differences produced by a number of things that subjectivists claims are audible, but (until now?) nobody have ever been able to detect with any instrument (things such as effect of audio cables, power-plugs insertion direction, etc).

Have a look at these incredible results:

Facts and figures

If these extraordinary claims/results are true and trustworthy, this may be a real revolution in the audio world!

More info from the site (not much, unfortunately):

How the ADDC measure works

F.A.Q.

Last edited by UnixMan; 2nd June 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2nd June 2012, 06:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've been measuring the unmeasurable for decades. This is just marketing BS because it doesn't describe what the measurement is. A heck of a lot of words that might impress somebody somewhere, but very little actual content. He says another site is coming, so I wouldn't get too excited until that shows up with a real explanation.
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:38 PM   #3
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Nordost promised something that can measure differences in a cable.

We are still waiting...

Quote:
Why the ADDC measure should give better results than all the other ones which are already used in the audio, video, medical and other fields?
This is already a dead giveaway that this is audiophile bull. It is supposedly useful in the money-sucking medical industry, yet the creator decides to market it as an audio product first.

And also, the mastery of the English language on that page...

Last edited by wwenze; 2nd June 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 3rd June 2012, 07:18 PM   #4
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
I've been measuring the unmeasurable for decades.
interesting. What kind of measures have you done? Can we see some results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
This is just marketing BS because it doesn't describe what the measurement is. A heck of a lot of words that might impress somebody somewhere, but very little actual content.
very little actual content, indeed. But figures with results does look quite impressive, don't you think so?

If it really works "as advertised", one may make some real money out of it. Can you blame him if he don't want to give it away for free telling too much on a web page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenze View Post
This is already a dead giveaway that this is audiophile bull. It is supposedly useful in the money-sucking medical industry, yet the creator decides to market it as an audio product first.

And also, the mastery of the English language on that page...
There is no product to speak of. The author did it in his spare time as a hobby project, and did it for audio. I guess that only later he have recognized that his work may find useful applications in other fields too. AFAIK, he's still trying to find a way to market it...
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here's some cap comparisons for you using a differential bridge method- Measured Differences Between Capacitors for Audio Applications Wander the rest of my site if you like as well.

I find differential comparisons are the most powerful tool. Done right, there are almost no limitations in resolution. The two generalizations I can make (and I hate generalizations) are that no two electrical components or completed systems are so identical that I can't tell them apart by measurements, and it usually doesn't matter near as much as people like to claim.

The mistake most people make is assuming the usual measurements they hear about like response and THD are the only ones possible. The ways of examining signals and transfer functions are almost unlimited.
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

As my eyes (never mind my ears) glazed over I was hard pressed to find out what ADDC stands for.
As most of these "audiogurus" do not play a musical instrument why would they care about distortion. I am, however and forever, left to ponder the THD+N on my violin
Help! E
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:33 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixMan View Post

very little actual content, indeed. But figures with results does look quite impressive, don't you think so?
No, I don't think so. As you said, content-free.
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Measuring everything on the technical side of sound reproduction is easy. The thing that is hard to mesure is personal preferences.
Old 5th June 2012, 11:34 AM   #9
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I'm sure we can forgive him the weak English, as it is not his mother tongue. However, pages of content-free woffle would presumably be much the same in his native Italian. Or did all the information somehow escape during translation?

My guess is that this is some sort of input-output comparison (Hafler test?). Almost everything seen will be due to filtering. Once that has been compensated away, what is left can be difficult to interpret because differences which annoy us and differences we don't notice can look the same to a meter or a computer.
Old 5th June 2012, 03:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenze View Post
Nordost promised something that can measure differences in a cable.

We are still waiting...
Audioxpress November 2009

Hide this!Advertise here!