Do you put pieces of tape on your screen?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
What I really want is an overlay scratchpad application for writing over the top of any window. Panning and cropping multiple overlay would be a bonus.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 235
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks for the suggestions. The FRD consortium has tools like that, but I'm going the other way. I came up with the tape values one by one, then created the curve from them. I could have typed an FRD file but I'm dubious of how some programs do smoothing on low data point density files.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I was comparing the rear radiation of one design to its front radiation and scaling it to a different sized design while incorporating modelled low frequency data in order to convert band limited (gated) frontal polars into full range 360 degree polars. The shot shown was one step in producing a rear radiation estimate.

With a variety of sources and methods found in this field, lack of compatibility etc, I often resort to using a ruler and calculator, but only when I have little choice.

HA HA! I used to do the same thing in the lab (monitoring brain electrical currents) 20 years ago - before we had all these new-fangled computer dohikeys you kids have today. Except that I taped a piece of overhead transparency to the monitor and traced it.

Sorry. I don't have an answer to your question. Just taking a trip down memory lane . . .

I was comparing the rear radiation of one design to its front radiation and scaling it to a different sized design while incorporating modelled low frequency data in order to convert band limited (gated) frontal polars into full range 360 degree polars. The shot shown was one step in producing a rear radiation estimate.

Looks like you are using speaker workshop?
Copy your measurements into new "working" ones in the project tree and give them unique names
throw them all into a new chart
Click on the individual new working measurements in the project tree and scale them and splice them as needed.
SW can run out of memory a lot when you are doing this - save a lot and quit/restart the program occasionally - the hallmark of when you need to do this is when a plot doesn't update when you do something...

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Looks like you are using speaker workshop?
Correct.
Copy your measurements into new "working" ones in the project tree
One thing I should have mentioned, I had my data tabulated on the back of an envelope..a gas bill, actually :D
SW can run out of memory a lot when you are doing this - save a lot and quit/restart the program occasionally - the hallmark of when you need to do this is when a plot doesn't update when you do something...
Have you tried right clicking the chart -> properties and setting the number of data points down from 79k?

One thing I should have mentioned, I had my data tabulated on the back of an envelope..a gas bill, actually.

Well, since I still don't fundamentally understand what you are doing (why using tape) I have no further suggestions for you - except that sometimes people get so focused on their solution, that they don't understand that they need to back up a few steps to find that their developed methods are the problem. And yes, I know how to reduce the number of points as I sometimes graph or play with results in Excel or open office, where older versions have a 65535 row limit ;)

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I know of no other examples of this having been done, (though I'm sure it has, of course). My research data was scattered and not well accessible. Some was even off the chart. It was a one-off procedure.

I reach this kind of limitation once every few months, I suppose. The tape is the least of my worries...it's certainly no harder than doing an actual crossover simulation on graph paper, as I'm sure you know.

Thanks, by the way, for the mic compensation files. That brought me out of the woods for a while.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.