Fried a slow blow 4 A fuse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

During unit testing my CLC power supply, I somehow managed to reverse polarity of one bank of 10@4700uf caps located right after a 4 diodes bridge before the air coil inductor. What other parts might have been damaged by this? The PSU was tested with no amp connected at the time. I have even told myself not to work on it when I am tired!

The layout is;

400VA 22-0-22 Transformer---->Bridge--->C---->L-----C
|--->Bridge--->C---->L-----C

Also I was using a thick copper bar as the power bus and my 40Watt solder iron did not work with it at all, so I used a bustane gas blow torch to do the soldering, you don't want to see what the PSU looks like now. I really skinned the caps not by intention though. The insulation of the hook up wires were on fire and they are all charred now. I hoped the caps survived the fire...

Regards,
Chris

The Butcher

Joined 2003
Paid Member
chris ma said:
What other parts might have been damaged by this? The PSU was tested with no amp connected at the time.
Regards,
Chris

The Butcher
I particularly like that Butcher-regard ;)
Now is the right time to buy a digicam and post some pictures. :D

To go on with your 4A SlowBlow, check your bridges.
If these are OK, nothing else will be harmed IMO.
The fuse probably reacted quickly enough not giving the time to the
transformer or caps to be damaged.

/Hugo :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.