Is HIFI dead-where is it going? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2012, 05:59 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
Headphones are inherently much more accurate than speakers. So the younger generations haven't missed a thing. (snip)
Oh? Given that most are listening to MP3 sources I'd say they're missing at least everything under 100hz and anything over 10khz...a shame considering their hearing is so much better than mine at this age

Hi-Fi started dying as a useful term when every old console in the 50s and 60s was branded as Hi-Fi and then again in the 70s when Bose set new low-water marks in Hi-Fidelity for the masses..something they continue to propagate with their new kitchen counter friendly units....in the world of Hi-Fidelity those with the biggest marketing budgets win! Anyone hear of, or remember Nuance loudspeakers? The ultimate low-fi dressed up as Hi-Fi!

Last edited by devilsindetails; 23rd May 2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:16 AM   #22
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yeah well not everyone is so white bread, head-fi is currently the worlds largest audio forum and lossless ALAC or FLAC are the norm, with possibly 320kbs for some small portable convenience devices like cellphones. over there many are spending at least as much on headphones as speakers with systems up to 25-50k but most spending, using computer as source spend around 500-750 for an outboard dac, about the same on amps and owning multiple pairs of headphones between 250-1500 a pair and let me tell you, with a 3k headphone rig you get some pretty serious sound.

even in the portable arena people are using a battery powered solid state transport like an ipod, iphone or iriver feeding digital to a dac, the best of which are balanced and then feeding balanced solid state and some hybrid vacuum state amps and either fullsize headphones, or in ear musicians monitors with 4-8 drivers per ear and passive, or in some cases active digital 3 and 4 way crossovers, tuned to give you what is called 'ear flat' audio. they use a dummy head and your custom molded monitors to create a phase accurate digital XO profile which is loaded in the memory of a 6 channel crystal semi based portable dac with multichannel amp! this is all set up specifically for each owner, nobody else can use your monitors and you cant use any other monitors on it. about 3k all up for that setup

this rivals seriously treated audio rooms, the room is taken out of the equation

sure some kids do it for the bass boost, but they are not the majority

even an ipad directly feeding my jh13 monitors or using a small low outputZ low gain amp via the line out is pretty impressive

Last edited by qusp; 23rd May 2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:17 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Not here...most under 25-year-olds are using the garden store variety $9.95 ear buds listening to gawdawful MP3 sources....they must be smarter down-under I guess
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:24 PM   #24
Rolegh is offline Rolegh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

At a recent HiFi show I was surprised to see how many exhibitors had resorted to using the ipod as a source to demonstrate their equipment. Even until the recent past vinyl played on all manner of exotic turntables were used together with tube amps to lend an air of superiority.

It was this year that many demonstrators were playing what could be considered ''safe'' music and my response to this was just to turn around and walk straight out. On the few occasions that I managed to push them to play some really dynamic music the speakers would reveal their inadequacies especially in the bass. The sound would fall apart.

On the question of AV, a company proud of its reputation of supplying speakers to the Pro recording market and to which the quality was always quite impressive in the past, had given a demonstration that was just all wrong in its balance and when I tried to explain these deficiencies to the person controlling admission to the demo he just did not want to know. The same feeling of lacklustre was also evident in their other listening rooms.

The Audio Note demonstration was one of the very few up to standard as well as another company that has been around for six years but had only heard of this year. Every thing was right about them whether classical or Rock and well worth the seven grand asking price. Another company was very good in the midrange and treble area but unfortunately not the bass.

This year had been the biggest surprise in terms of the retrograde direction in quality, even more so than the suspicion that the Ipod generation are no longer able to mix.

I have heard CDs that sound identical to the same album on vinyl and also CDs that are superior and also worse than vinyl. It must be down to the final mix.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:30 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

i always had the taste for good sound quality even as a kid , but then i didnt have the money or knowledge to buy or diy . I think for most people as they get older and have more money to spend they want better sound quality.
Old 24th May 2012, 08:05 AM   #26
bluntje is offline bluntje  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

How about amplifier quality? In my experience this hasnt improved at all the last 30 or 40 years. Not that I exist that long, but my old mcintosh sounds much better than most of the other reasonably affordable amps. You'd expect quality would go to lower cost amps over the years. Why is that not happening? Or am I just plain wrong?
Old 24th May 2012, 08:22 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Mcintosh is a very good amp most affordable amps arent , i think the problem with affordable amps is crapy components and undersized power supplys , my arcam after recaping including power supply capacitors sounds so much better and effortless. Its not only the companies to blame the consumers also want the cheap stuff and those who want the best gear most of the times get ripped off
Old 24th May 2012, 08:40 AM   #28
bluntje is offline bluntje  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The problem is then than that quality hasn't improved because component manufacturers just found cheaper ways to make components, not very focused on improving quality, rather compromising it. And that is because people are satisfied with the cheap and smaller stuff.

Marketing should find a new word for HIFI so they can promote quality again

How about chip amps, they are getting better I guess? Will they / have they surpassed my mcintosh?
Old 24th May 2012, 08:44 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsindetails View Post
Oh? Given that most are listening to MP3 sources I'd say they're missing at least everything under 100hz and anything over 10khz...a shame considering their hearing is so much better than mine at this age
It's not a matter of frequency , but how the lossy compression actuates it ;
indeed , signals present on the record that are peculiar for the ear/brain to elaborate are in the -60dB range , and they are the 'ambient' , reflected sound of the instruments that are captioned by the mic . They'll be cut off inelegantly by the compression . This in not valid for synthetic sounds that are already avulsed from real world .
Old 24th May 2012, 08:55 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntje View Post
Marketing should find a new word for HIFI so they can promote quality again
isnt that hi end ?

Hide this!Advertise here!