Is HIFI dead-where is it going? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2012, 04:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I always say to the critics "Take your ears shopping".

If you can hear the difference with a £50K stereo then it is worth the money. If it sounds the same as your phone with a blanket over your head then it isn't.
Old 16th May 2012, 05:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Actually, I have no cell phone, nor I had, nor I will never had one of such devices. Like its name tells, I will not have a "blackberry", Iīm not a prisoner of a electronic device in any way.
Old 16th May 2012, 05:53 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I think the sad truth is that the Hi-Fi industry has been ruined by the Hi-Fi press. The so called critics will write up endless bollocks, so long as there publications can charge for the advertising. We all know this goes on, over the years it has proliferated to the point where it is the norm. Advertisers cannot openly lie in there adverts, so they get the Hi-Fi press to do it for them and thatís called a review. Just go and read some reviews of HDMI cables, J.R.R.Tolkien would have been proud of some of the fantasies put forward in those so called reviews. Until the Hi-Fi press throws away the Emperorís new clothes, the Hi-Fi industry is not going to be taken seriously by the majority of people.
Old 17th May 2012, 07:45 AM   #14
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I hate to say this,

However I'm beginning to think that data retrieval direct from "Hard drive or chip medium" is superior and it’s only the file type that would make that not the case. (Mp3 etc)..

It removes the laser from the equation and the CD with its "Rust problems".
Here is the question is the computer hard drive in front of me better than let’s say a 2006 high end CD and DAC? (£ 1000.00 +)

Why is it that people say the older Ipods are better than the new? And that the DAC was better in them?

Is it that the new technology is actually in the HIFI "band" and now fitted in the Low Fi price bracket? Which would make HIFI redundant?
Example..looking at cars A vintage sports car against a modern family saloon....take a race which is better?

I also agree with Mekon and the HIFI reports and tests...

I think is fair to say there is more investment and funding for computer research than for HIFI development...so does the HIFI industry stand a chance in the modern world?
Or is it going the way of the draftsman and his "T" square against the CAD package..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 17th May 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 17th May 2012, 08:29 AM   #15
bluntje is offline bluntje  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gregg View Post
Here is the question is the computer hard drive in front of me better than letís say a 2006 high end CD and DAC? (£ 1000.00 +)

Why is it that people say the older Ipods are better than the new? And that the DAC was better in them?

Regards
M. Gregg
There's a big difference between solid state storage and hard drive storage. I don't know if the iPod dac has become of less quality, but I do know that if I hook up my iPad to a USB dac (through the camera connector, nothing special) it sounds much better than from my computer. There is much less jitter. The same is true playing from a computer with solid state. So in that way iPods may have gained quality with the move to bigger solid state.

It still is hard to beat a good cd player, but it can be done. Asynchronous USB audio may be the final step necessary, this will provide the dac with a bit perfect stream.

Maarten
Old 17th May 2012, 11:32 AM   #16
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Almost all DACs already get a bit-perfect stream. The problem, if any, is timing.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:03 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Headphones are inherently much more accurate than speakers. So the younger generations haven't missed a thing.

I agree there is a lot of nonsense in the hifi industry which not only put people off but making audiophiles look like fools. That's why audio topics are conversation killer.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:28 PM   #18
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
I agree there is a lot of nonsense in the hifi industry which not only put people off but making audiophiles look like fools.
Cartoons with that perspective weren't uncommon in the Fifties and Sixties. It might be people find little of interest in a technology they grew up with. I watched the original Star Trek on a black and white CRT, 60" plasmas are exciting. Two way monkey coffins are not.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:49 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf View Post
Two way monkey coffins are not.
Are we talking macaque, gibbon, gorilla or marmoset sized?
With or without X over?
LOL

I still love the sound of Magnepan but can't justify the size to the wife...

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 17th May 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 17th May 2012, 01:04 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I'm still surprised,

That the level of wav encoding was/is the standard..when FLAC sounds better..surly they have done themselves an injustice? Now MP3?

Regards
M. Gregg

Hide this!Advertise here!