FM and DAB change over?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Just thought it would be interesting to hear peoples ideas,

In the UK DAB radio is going to replace FM broadcasting.

Looking at Web posts alot of people say this is a major down turn in stereo quality... :(

Does this mean all HIFI tube tuners are stuffed?

Has the quad FM4 had it's day?

When will this happen?

Are all car radios on the scrap heap?:whacko:

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I can't locate the information at the moment,

However it said that when a preset percentage of use was reached then they would switch over..also possible plans to ensure DAB was the only radio fitted to new vehicles.. I guess to ensure the set point was reached?
Is this now not the case?

Regards
M. Gregg

If you are into Hi-End Hi-Fi then the potential quality of FM is far superior to DAB.

Mediocre Hi-Fi has its place as does MP3, but FM will rule the air until the UK go for DAB2.

Bit like Vinyl will have its place until SACD is adopted by the UK. Obviously there will always be lovers of vinyl but their argument will get weaker with SACD.

Sorry that should be DAB + not DAB 2

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Digital_Audio_Broadcasting

The annoying thing is that DAB+ receivers are compatible with DAB1 but DAB1 receivers cannot currently be converted to DAB+.

In time there may be slot in DAB+ tuner modules that UxE (Upkeep by Exchange) DAB1 modules. IMHO the manufacturers wont release the information so we will have to buy new tuners.

DAB hasn't been the money spinner that the UK expected, so will they help us. NO.

Last edited:
I suspect that it has been a money loser. It would be interesting to know how much tax payers money has gone into DAB either directly from the UK or via the EU. Letting politicians or managers have any influence on technical matters usually ends in tears.
A good few years ago one of them claimed that DAB didn't need an antenna! Another reason given was that it would give car radios improved reception compared to FM.

If you've ever used a portable DAB receiver, (I'm not saying you havent), they DEFINITELY need quite a good aerial.

I've got a reasonable Hi-End Hi-Fi set up here with DAB1 and FM both with huge rooftop mounted aerials in a GOOD reception area.

I never use the DAB on the Hi-Fi as it sounds awful. I do use it in the bedroom on my portable.

DAB portables in a weak signal environment tend to sound like a washing machine.

DAB was designed to give good reception in mountainous places and cities where multi-path ruins FM. DAB is capable of giving good sound, provided a high enough bit rate is used. In the UK we have adopted a cheap version, with low power transmitters and low bit rates so UK DAB is unreliable and sounds nasty. Like the rest of Europe we use the wrong frequency band too: Band 1 would be better than Band 3 for national coverage.

The 2015 aim for a switchover has been quietly buried, but the official policy is still that when 50% of radio listening is via digital (not necessarily DAB) then FM will be switched off. Note that as 50% digital includes via TV and the internet it is quite conceivable that at the point of switchoff FM will still be the single most popular option and DAB will be the least popular. Only a politician (or an Ofcom accountant) would switch off the most popular option in favour of the least popular. However, politicians need to get elected from time to time so I can't seem them wanting to add to their unpopularity by getting rid of FM any time soon.

My guess is that most homes now have one DAB receiver, which is rarely used because it is so horrible, but people and politicians have been taught to believe that digital is good and analogue is old-fashioned.

Shops selling DAB receivers are allowed to cheat and use an in-house repeater station so DAB seems to work fine in the shop. You pay your money, take the thing home, then find it doesn't work very well. This adds one more sale to the statistics, thus proving how popular DAB is with the public. DAB also drinks batteries, as digital decoding will always be more power-hungry than a simple FM discriminator, so most DAB sets need mains electricity even if they are styled to look portable.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The newest reports seem to be in the range of 2008 to 2010.
Are there any up to date, 2012, reports?

What is the current situation with FM and when, or when not, it gets turned off?

Looks like no one knows the answer to this..I bet we hear nothing and in 2015 " hey people remember the FM goes off at 12.00 tonight)...We did tell you remember...New DAB + would replace it..anyway whats an audiophile they went with the Dinosaurs didn't they? :D
Its all on line now..

Regards
M. Gregg

I have now read a few of the reports.

I get the impression that FM will not be switched off.
Instead the majority of existing broadcasters are due to be "forced off" by terminating their licenses, when the time comes.

It further appears that a critical digital audience level/proportion could be the trigger.

The more we listen to internet radio and freeview radio, the higher the proportion of digital listeners.

I get the impression that some commentators are deliberately misguiding us on the proposals by giving the impression that FM broadcasting is safe and that the "changeover" cannot happen because the DAB radio proportion is too low.

FM is only safe in the sense that FM will be retained for local stations for which DAB will always be too expensive. However, the FM band will then be subject to interference from all the 'DAB adaptors' which the government hopes people will buy for their cars so they can continue to listen to the radio while they are driving. They even expect people to 'convert' their home receivers too! Completely barmy.

I don't know if anyone has done the sums, but I suspect that there is insufficient internet bandwidth for all current radio listeners to move from FM to online streaming. People could quickly hit monthly download limits too.

There are two core dishonesties in the UK 'digital switchover' plans:
1. signal repeaters in shops so people get a false impression of DAB reliability,
2. 50% digital listening as the trigger, rather than 50% DAB listening

There was a third dishonesty: "crystal clear digital sound" but that has been quietly dropped and now little attempt is made to sell DAB on sound quality grounds. Only an idiot draws attention to the weakest feature of his product!

DAB+ uses the same bit rates, but a much better encoder so you should get better sound at the same bit rates. However, given our track record in the UK, it is quite likely that the radio industry will simply drop the bit rates even further so they can squeeze even more loss-making poor-sound computer-playout mindless-pop stations in the same bandwidth - then wonder why nobody listens to them.

Instead of talking about FM switchoff, they should be talking about DAB switchoff and naming a date for an upgrade to decent quality DAB+. Every month they delay this another few thousand people buy a non-upgradeable DAB box which will eventually become obsolete. Hear this people: your DAB receiver is likely to become useless before your FM receiver, unless you can upgrade its firmware.

I don't really see the problem with DAB as-is (I know -- hear me out).

It works perfectly well in the car and on a portable radio IME. Where it's no good is when you're listening in a more analytical manner -- i.e. on the home hi-fi.

For that, the major radio stations all have good quality AAC or OGG streams (or MP3 at high bit-rate -- a few are now branching into FLAC too), and/or are available in FM. I sold my home DAB separate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.