Speaker driver burn-in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a more intelligent answer than my first post, see:

"Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction?"

Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction? — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Interesting article. Explains why my recently self built speakers with brand new drivers sound the same as the pair I had on loan to try out in my living room.

What I miss in the discussion is the "burn in" of the listener. I have experienced several times after replacing one set of headphones with another that they sounded really different (esp. tonally). But somehow my hearing always adapted within a few days to a week, shrinking the differences that seemed huge at first.
In other words if - after the first seconds - there seems to be hardly any or no measurable change, isn't it our hearing and the familiarisation process responsible for gradual improvement of perceived sound quality?

Maybe i´ve just listened to crappy speakers for most of my life but almost all " comercial " speakers with metal domes sound to much bright . Dont know if it´s the drivers , crossovers or the source , since i dont believe it´s the amps , and when you listen at higher volumes it gets worse.

Isnt Mark of Mark audio that advises to play low volume music in his speakers when new , like a car when new you make some miles untill you can rev it up ?

Last edited:
maybe

Maybe i´ve just listened to crappy speakers for most of my life but almost all " comercial " speakers with metal domes sound to much bright . Dont know if it´s the drivers , crossovers or the source , since i dont believe it´s the amps , and when you listen at higher volumes it gets worse.

Crappy speakers do sound like crap... that's for sure

Isnt Mark of Mark audio that advises to play low volume music in his speakers when new , like a car when new you make some miles untill you can rev it up ?

seems like a bunch of unproven assumptions built into that observation... by this analogy, one should only "idle the car" for some period of time w/o actually driving it, eh? Kinda defeats the original purpose of manufacture...:rolleyes:

Dont know if it´s the drivers , crossovers or the source , since i dont believe it´s the amps , and when you listen at higher volumes it gets worse.

Specially with some of the music you (and I) like (hard rock, metal), things can get too noisy on "good" (as in revealing) systems too....:h_ache:

seems like a bunch of unproven assumptions built into that observation... by this analogy, one should only "idle the car" for some period of time w/o actually driving it, eh? Kinda defeats the original purpose of manufacture...:rolleyes:

Iduarte is probably talking about new engine break-in? :)

How should you 'break-in' a new car

Appropriate analogy since warming up a car engine by letting it idle is probably also based on unproven assumptions. Contrary to popular belief, one of the worst things you can do to an engine is warm it up slowly by letting it idle. No load + low revs = very long time to get the oil flowing properly = high wear. My advice: start en drive away immediately in a restrained manner.

On topic:
Just listen to new speakers at normal listening levels ("normal listening levels" being levels that don't get the neighbours up in arms and don't damage your hearing).

Yes.
And while we are at it: is there an aberration into tonality of of a speaker system due to the length of the common (black) wire vs the signal (red) wire between speaker terminals (and don't get me started on those!) and the Xover
Silverplate wire (due to the skin-effect) has a much lower conductance than heavier gauge (non-aerated) copper conductors, at higher frequencies. E

another wire thread??

COOL!!

Let's start a wire debate!! Never been done b4, eh??

Just go back 20 years or more on the old RAHE, etc. newsgroup forums, search for John DunLavy, Dick Pierce, etc... Stuart Pinkerton, Arny Krueger... John Atkinson, other liminaries, and report back....

might see auplater there as well, occasionally...;);):D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.