base vs. bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess this is just a pet peeve, but yes, I think it is important. (actually no, it is not a pet peeve, it is about correct usage of the English language)

I've seen many times lately where "base" instead of "bass" is used when referring to low frequency output of an audio device.

The correct spelling is "bass" in reference to audio frequencies.

The English language has already undergone enough unwarranted changes.

Please use the correct term when referring to audio subject matter.

Bass | Define Bass at Dictionary.com

Base | Define Base at Dictionary.com

...meanwhile, at the local fisherman's forum, the same argument is rousting up tempers. The other day, a popular member of the "Fish Or Die" community had just about enough when a fellow member described his "bass" output as somewhat lacking. Tempers flared until he explained that his local fishing hole had not been yielding the typical amount of bass he was accustom to. Another member flamed the fires when it was suggested he try another "port" farther down the road. The local police and fire departments were called in to help "neutralize" the situation...needless to say, it was too late. When one of the officers warned that the "frequency" of these situations had been escalating during the past year...it resonated a horrible tone throughout the community.
It was later discovered that the instigator of this fiasco was actually under the impression he was posting under the "Fish Or Die: sea bass and how to tame it" thread at DIYA.
An investigation is presently underway, and citizens are warned to not judge until all the facts are in.

People are also warned to stay away from various HipHop forums where further misundertsandings could trigger similar unrest.

Last edited:
I think they may claim that they preserved it (apart from mucking about with the spelling) whereas we Brits corrupted it. Let's not divert this thread into another Atlantic war; stick to literacy or the lack of it. US or UK grammar and spellings are accepted here, and anything intelligible from non-native speakers. The issue is, usually, youngsters who are native English speakers yet who appear to have slept through their schooldays.

Even broadsheet journalists now can't distinguish between "there", "they're" and "their".

Point taken scitizen17 but the others have valid points as well. There are so many examples of that I try and turn my head and not look but sometimes I can't help myself; like when someone spells Peak and they mean Pique.

Isn't that right Laura? :D

I really don't even know why I posted that. It's really not that big of a deal. Maybe it was the whine.

Knot trying to be the word police hear. :eek:

Scott

This reminds me of a humorous "Candid camera" segment I saw decades ago.

The question was of people in South Carolina (I believe) was, explain the difference betwen "oil" and "all"

They all answered explaining "all" was what you put in your car and "all" was like when you said "y'all" :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.