Ziplex Resonators...really? $2,600, really?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Audiophools will buy anything,for any price.

I could sell a literal bag of bull*hit as a magical music device...probably for several thousand dollars each.

I think there is a definate link to money...as in the more it costs then it must be good if it was low priced it woudn't get a second look,...I also think that most people that like audio want that " i'm there" feeling...I have experienced this on very few occasions.

Its interesting that this kind of thing still draws peoples interest...And this still makes me feel HIFI has been marching on the spot for many years..ie Still trying to get "I'm their"...its interesting that a while ago you could find a local HIFI dealer and listen to good equipment (Many have never listened to "Good equipment") how can you judge if you have never experienced it?...it was "main stream" now you have to search for venues..the local HIFI conventions that used to happen seem long gone...:(

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
In the dim distant past LOL meant 'lots of love'. It took me a while to become accustomed to the new meaning. Yes, I agree it is overused. It should only be used (when texting) when someone really did LOL and it is desired to report this. On here an appropriate smiley might be better.

Aha!, a kindred spirit, or equally grumpy old sod!

LOL, oh sh!t, didn't mean that. ;)

I especially enjoy the reviews that describe the weird and not so wonderful break in process.

Such as (made up example) : For the 1st 100 hours they sound awful, then after this initial run in period they sound wonderful, then they get worse again for 30 hours or so, then slowly after 200 hours heavy use EUREKA!, they sound just right.

Presuming this is not the reviewer adjusting to the speakers, why would these reviewers presume these apparently highly elastic mechanical parameters would suddenly settle down and neatly produce a highly recommendable product?

I think you are meant to be impressed by the fine discrimination of the reviewer's ears and the details of his lab note-taking. Are these hours elapsed time, listening time or equipment operating time?

Such daft reviews are only on the subjective evaluation, with listening and "running in" (speakers facing each other, one wired out of phase etc when not actually listening and assessing themselves) I imagine the figures are plucked out the air. :D

Now were talking

Audiophools will buy anything,for any price.

I could sell a literal bag of bull*hit as a magical music device...probably for several thousand dollars each.
Now were getting somewhere....
I propose we make this thread into something a little different...why dont we actually come up with some device that we can market to the audiophile class out there. We can start brainstorming then move to a design stage and ultimately try to market our collective device. I am dead serious. We, i presume, are a group of avid DIYers who could certainly come up with something and build it....marketing will be a bit trickier....
Any Ideas?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Now were getting somewhere....
I propose we make this thread into something a little different...why dont we actually come up with some device that we can market to the audiophile class out there. We can start brainstorming then move to a design stage and ultimately try to market our collective device. I am dead serious. We, i presume, are a group of avid DIYers who could certainly come up with something and build it....marketing will be a bit trickier....
Any Ideas?

I think I would be worried about fraud...But thats just me...LOL oups..:eek:

I would say that its a definate that speakers "run in"..The Alpair 7 is a typical example..it sounds like a transistor radio for about 2 months..then the bass appears and its more than I expected..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I suspect we don't have the right type of 'creativity' to think of a daft idea, and we certainly will have difficulty writing the sales blurb. To succeed at that game you need to be very greedy (so you are happy to sell $2 of stuff for $200), and either dim (so you genuinely believe the thing works) or dishonest (you know it doesn't work). We would need to enlist some fifth-columnists from the other side, our intended market.

As my gramps used to say, a fool flees his money and that right quick....
I bet you could offer a 30-day money back policy and never have a request for your money back with this sort of stuff. Reason being, the only person who would buy this stuff believes it works before they "hear" it....
We could make it a social experiment of sorts.

What we really need to succeed is a Tibetian Monk to bless the final product, or maybe a Hare Chrishna for the older hippy target market....package it with a prayer cloth they used to wipe the sweat from their forehead....

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Could we get Dawkins to endorse it for the 'new atheist' market? He would need to certify that no faith was involved in its design or manufacture. Oh dear, I have just excluded most audio gizmos!

I can't remember now..something about putting a piece of paper under each leg of every piece of furniture in a listening room to make it sound better...I guess the distraction method..ie the incessant wrinkling of the paper under the listening chair covered the sibilance of the mediocre system..:rolleyes:

Perhaps the wrong colour paper made a difference...put some under the bowl...or in my case wifes flower vase..

Looking at the hifi world "get this now" gadget..

Perhaps an RFI transmitter that’s so powerful it interfears with the system and creates anti noise...Then again it might work well on some stuff I’ve listened to (Electro magnetic pulse might be better)...Here's one a coil that fits under the chassis and creates permant demagnetization of magnetic components in the equipment..and cooks cables to medium rare..or to within an inch of their lives...which ever comes first.. A magnet that clamps to the outside of a tube to centre the electron flow (perhaps that was scan coils)...A tube demagnetizer for anode plates...:whacko:
Perhaps a polythene fish out of a cracker that curls up when the system is telling lies and not producing correct sound..then again it would never be flat would it..:)

Regards
M. Gregg

I think I would be worried about fraud...But thats just me...LOL oups..:eek:

I would say that its a definate that speakers "run in"..The Alpair 7 is a typical example..it sounds like a transistor radio for about 2 months..then the bass appears and its more than I expected..

Regards
M. Gregg

So it took 2 months to run in then it neatly stopped changing, hmm......

Is it possible that your old speakers now sound very rich and plummy to your ears these days?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
So it took 2 months to run in then it neatly stopped changing, hmm......

Is it possible that your old speakers now sound very rich and plummy to your ears these days?

The change continues until it reaches maximum bandwidth..However there is quite a sudden increase in bass response..I guess you could say they sound tight at first and it is way more pronounced than I have experienced with other speakers..This is well documented by Planet 10 on this site..

Regards
M. Gregg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.