Ziplex Resonators...really? $2,600, really?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Somehow I stubled across this article/review of something, well, I find to be totally ridiculous....or brilliant as far as marketing goes. if someone can sell these for this price there is still room for all of us to use the far edges of our imagination to get rich...

StereoTimes --

Call me a scoffer....contempt prior to imvestigtion, indeed...i just can't bring myself to believe these tiny little 1/2" half domes of Tibeten inspired gimickry could cause an improvement in a sound system, or any effect for that matter...

It does inspire one to throw together a few dollars worth of scrap and find a way to make a profit off some rich audiophile who has nothing better to do with their cash.

They might have some effect. Doesn't mean I recommend buying them. I would be surprised to learn Tibetan Monks are shelling out thousands of dollars for their bowls.

Pretty much anything physically located in a room will affect sound to some degree. If the effect is slight it might go un-noticed, but I have noticed an effect from time to time; sometimes it's quite noticeable.

Last fall I was doing some renovations in the living room. Things were moved about as a result, and I was using a simple system powered by a computer for music. Speakers were self-powered M-Audio AV40's. Decent, but nothing spectacular. Set up about 18" apart, slight toe-in, listening position about 8 feet back. Speaker position was determined by listening; basically I kept moving them closer to each other until a solid centre image was possible.

Well, after a day of sanding walls I sat on the couch and began some nice relaxing music listening. I was startled to hear some image information coming 10 feet to the left of one speaker ... a distance that actually placed the source outside the front door of the house. There was also some images coming about 8 feet to the right of the right speaker, seemingly planted right on the wall. It was quite repeatable and the images were pin-point. I could have put a pencil mark on the wall for the right side image location for some bells on one track.

I finally figured out that a floor standing 3-blade fan, placed about a foot to the left and a bit in front of the one speaker, and oriented so if it were on would blow across the front of both speakers, was the source of the phantom images. It was put there due to the reno. Moving the fan blades affected the apparent image location.

I have no idea how in the world you would go about measuring the effect. I consider it un-measurable. Yet it was quite real.

The fan costs about $30. YMMV. And no, I don't have a fan in that location now.

Last edited:
Placing acoustic resonators in your listening room modifies the sound - who would have thought it?

Curiously, your speaker manufacturer hopefully spent a lot of time and effort to eliminate resonances where possible and dampen them when they could not be eliminated. You have just undone all his effort by deliberately introducing resonances, and probably quite high Q resonances too.

I suppose I should not be surprised, as 'audiophiles' sometimes deliberately add noise and distortion (some, but not all, tube buffers), remove essential filters (many NOS DACs), introduce RF interference (some 'high end' cables). What next: extra hum?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
here is mine "finely tuned" resonator

Attachments

• res.jpg
    res.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 146
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Apologies Gregg, I'm not offended, only by the general overuse of LOL.
Example:
"Lol seems to get into everything now, lol."

I think,

It depends on how you look at it,

Laugh out loud ..or ..Lots of laughs...

I guess its used to denote ...LOL<<I'm just joking..as opposed to Laugh out loud..Perhaps its should be>>> IJJ<<dosent look right.. :D

Regards
M. Gregg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.