CAD Drawing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Doug said:

I've used earlier versions. It certainly isn't up to the level of VectorWorks which i use, but it is also a fifteenth the price.

I've yet to try a Windoz-based program that doesn't feel clumsy -- even the Windows version of VectorWorks has a clumsy feel that must be inhereted from Windows, because despite being the same code-base as the Mac Version, just doesn't have the elegance.

Speaker boxes are typically fairly simple drawings and this will probably do you fine -- at least the price is a bargain.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bostjancek said:
I use Autodesk's AutoCAD for Windows and I must say that this is a good and quite easy to lern CAD software.

Huh???

I always felt AutoCad was a good example of how not to write an easy to use piece of software. In this neck of the woods it is considered one of the biggest detriments to the industry... one of those "i use AutoCad because everyone else does" kind things. It is capable but far from great, very expensive (ie VectorWorks -- which is just as capable as AutoCAD, if not more so -- and the machine to run it on can cost less than a legal copy of autocad), and, relatively, is hard to learn.

Besides having used it myself, i have large number of clients who do CAD (largely architectural). You will see a new CAD person come in who has only used AutoCAD. For the 1st while they will complain (because the UI is different) but invariably after 3-6 months they will say "how did i ever live with that c%^*"

dave

I don't know. My opinion is that AutoCAD has it's oun philosophy of work which you must understand. I don't tell that is the best CAD software but is quiet powerfool for 2D drowings. For 3D drowings I use PRO ENGENEER or Autodesk's MECHANICAL DESKTOP. Now I intend to learn to make CAD with CATIA.

I have been using AutoCAD since their 9 th version. Versions 9-12 were MS-DOS software, 12 and up are Windows software. Now I'm working on 2002 version.

Cheers

For anything 2d i allways use Autocad 2002, I have used other programs like pro E, Solid works, Solid edge, and other cheap cad software, but i find auto cad the easiest to work with.

I admit it might be harder to learn than other programs but for me it is the easiest to pound out quick 2d drawings.

That said , i will never used autocad for 3d drawing. I have access to Unigraphics, so the choice is an easy one. UG is phenominal compared to any other cad program i have ever used, it's just damn expensive.

Rhinoceros with the Flamingo and Penguin plugins.

Pros: Super fast native render, ultra intuitive GUI every conceivable import/export filter for CAD/CAM, cheap compared to AutoCad, Flamingo renderer is ultra-realistic, Penguin non-realistic renderer is the coolest (have to see to understand)

Cons: No parametric history, limited dimensioning, no hatching for 2D drawings, and starts at US$895

www.rhino3d.com
www.flamingo3d.com
www.penguin3d.com
www.bongo3d.com

Rhino is impressive, Flamingo is pretty good, but Penguin is the coolest thing I've ever seen. We us it to render sketches or "artist's conceptions" so that clients think something is still at the development stage. Gives a little leeway for design changes for ease of use and manufacture. Plus it makes great cartoons. I can barely wait for the Bongo to come out of beta.

:)ensen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.