Interconnect questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When most of us buy a new HiFi separate and open the box we see a simple, no frills interconnect(s). Why is this when the manufacturer has spent thousands on product design, marketing, distribution and sales; the manufacturer wants us to become loyal to their brand and be astounded by their product... so why simple, cheap cables?

Do more expensive interconnects offer anything different in terms of signal transfer?

That's because they leave it to the Snake Oil vendors.

I've just sold a pair of Chord Chorus interconnects that cost me £125 on E-Bay because I found that RG58 cable from B&Q was just as good with decent connectors on the end.

You will find that your list of manufacturers also leave Loudspeaker manufacture to the experts too.

From what I can see there are three main variables: shielding, capacitance and continuity through good termination.

But in what way does a £100 ($140) cable improve on these?

Also would hard-wiring by bypassing the RCA phono sockets and soldering the cable to the rca feeds?

Last edited:
Exactly...you obviously looked into this before. My preference is my own DIY cables...after researching everything from theories about conductance to shileding, to EMI/RF rejection..and what others designed with their own reasonings, I decided on a schema and then tested it out.

Of course...we wont go into does one cable SOUND better than another. The fleas will come out of the wood pile and start biting around the ankles.:D

If no one minds, Id like to direct Larry to my thread about interconnect design.

Larry...go to my thread about interconnect design...LOL...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/cons...y-contribution-site-if-anyone-interested.html

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.