Interconnect questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NaimCDS3_reed_relay_bypass_4a.jpg

The inside of a separate does not use special cables to supply the RCA sockets, so why would the signal suddenly become better when it meets a super-dooper IC?

This photo is of a Naim CD player.... not cheap.

Larry,

Based upon your comments in your original post ("why don't manufactures supply their own high-end interconnects?") and contrasting those with your performance in your last post ("why do they make any difference?") I hereby award you the highly coveted Troll Of The Week award.

You plaque has been placed in the mud under the bridge. Please go down there and let us know when you find it.

:)

-b

Larry,

Based upon your comments in your original post ("why don't manufactures supply their own high-end interconnects?") and contrasting those with your performance in your last post ("why do they make any difference?") I hereby award you the highly coveted Troll Of The Week award.

You plaque has been placed in the mud under the bridge. Please go down there and let us know when you find it.

:)

-b

What is a Troll?

Hi Larry,

Yes, it's *good* to ask questions. But also realize that spoon-feeding you canned answers is not going to do anybody any good. Engage the brain and develop that critical thinking ability - that's your ticket.

Now, go back and read your different posts. Did you not actually manage to answer you own question?

;)

Good luck, and keep plugging away.

-bill

The inside of a separate does not use special cables to supply the RCA sockets, so why would the signal suddenly become better when it meets a super-dooper IC?

Here you hit the nail on the head.
It doesn't, but it does if you believe it does.

This photo is of a Naim CD player.... not cheap.

Even more expensive equipment still has signals going through thin copper tracks on a pcb (let's forget hardwired stuff for the moment).

Last edited:
I always thought quality interconnects were snake oil also and though that the cables that come with components are good enough.
However I recently ordered some of these frorm "monoprice.com" as they were only about $3 US each.

For only $2.43 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3ft Premium 2 RCA Plug/2 RCA Plug M/M 22AWG Cable - Black | Premium Analog RCA Cables

I installed them in my sys and was surprised. I now have more highs and subtle details. It is not a very dramatic difference but, it is noticable and well worth the $3 a cable cost.

Last edited:
What about the cables that cost $200?

Also, if I make my own cables but using the shortest cable length about 12" will this help?

I found that if you have very revealing equipment, you can detect subtle differences. That doesn’t mean that a 20 dollar cable is not as good as a 2000 dollar cable. These differences can add to OR subtract to the overall subtle change in ones system. A system that’s already "bright" can have just enough nuances from a cable that it makes it a tad harder to listen to. So, a subtle change in the opposite direction can make it just right. But, do you have the money to spend on trying different cables out? Some people do...and they hunt for these subtleties incessantly.

The shorter the cable the better. A 12 inch cable is shorter than the average. I have made cables as long as 6 feet with NO problems.

Go look at my thread...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/cons...y-contribution-site-if-anyone-interested.html

Yep, but them PCB traces are up to the job. The problem with cables is that they go outside the (usually) nicley screend box and can act as antenna, and are generaly the logest single path a sinal will have to travel

Yes, they're up to the job, but the point I was trying to make is that they come in one flavour: pcb-trace. There seems to be a whole forest of interconnects out there all getting the job done, most of which seem to be hugely overpriced.
If it weren't for the fact that pcbs are hidden inside a device that we might have a similar choice here too. I can already see the marketing waffle: pertinax, FR4, copper traces, 70u traces, silver traces, gold plated traces, extra wide traces, fancy solder resist coating, you name it... ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.