Interconnect questions - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2012, 04:16 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Spelling Police.

Pique my interest.
ALRIGHT LAURA....(my wife the English grad)...

..you better work on getting them crazy Canucks to calm down!
Old 30th April 2012, 04:25 PM   #62
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gregg
It depends on how or how well a cable is driven...
Yes. Feed it from a low impedance source and it doesn't matter. Feed it from a high impedance source (like some 'audiophile' preamps or 'passive' preamps) and you need either a short run or a low capacitance cable.

Quote:
Also the level of signal going through it and current.
Unlikely. Typical interconnect signal levels are nowhere near any possible nonlinearity problems with any reasonable cable design. I suppose if your 'line level' is particularly low in voltage, and you like your music particularly loud, then some cable microphony might be possible - especially if fed from a high impedance source (see above).

Quote:
and that starts the question put the power amp by the speaker and drive an interconnect
This depends on the balance of 'speaker cable resistance vs. speaker varying impedance' and 'interconnect capacitance value and non-linearity vs. source impedance'. My hunch is that in many cases short interconnects and long speaker cables is the better compromise, although this is the opposite of the usual view.
Old 30th April 2012, 04:33 PM   #63
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post

Unlikely. Typical interconnect signal levels are nowhere near any possible nonlinearity problems with any reasonable cable design. I suppose if your 'line level' is particularly low in voltage, and you like your music particularly loud, then some cable microphony might be possible - especially if fed from a high impedance source (see above).
Thinking about RFI and pick up linked to construction..

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 30th April 2012, 04:59 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry365 View Post
I know they do, some even produce their own... my point is that these cables do the job. Has anybody produced electrical signal test results between cables? I read lots of sales blurb from the companies selling expensive cables, but no hard proof.
I've seen test results for cables published. There were a few articles in I believe Speaker Builder Magazine, maybe Glass Audio. There were measured differences. I think some of the British HiFi press have done them as well. There have also been papers presented to AES conventions, and in the academic journals. Robert Fulton, Professor Malcolm Hawksford, others. Also 'The Supercables Cookbook" by the late Allen Wright, while not specifically a test report, delves into the math and offers practical DIY examples. Some of Wright's designs are the basis for commercial cables.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 30th April 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 30th April 2012, 05:01 PM   #65
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Look up Dick Greiner's articles in JAES and his popular article in Audio. He did both models and experiments to show frequency response effects- and how to avoid them.
Old 30th April 2012, 05:51 PM   #66
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

It is relatively easy to measure a cable and get some impressive-looking graphs, usually with some vital data missing (such as implausible feed impedance?). Except in pathological cases, somewhat harder to measure a real audio effect. Domestic audio cables are simply too short to do much harm to an audio signal, unless badly made or badly driven.

Hide this!Advertise here!