Interconnect questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
M Gregg said:
It depends on how or how well a cable is driven...
Yes. Feed it from a low impedance source and it doesn't matter. Feed it from a high impedance source (like some 'audiophile' preamps or 'passive' preamps) and you need either a short run or a low capacitance cable.

M Gregg said:
Also the level of signal going through it and current.
Unlikely. Typical interconnect signal levels are nowhere near any possible nonlinearity problems with any reasonable cable design. I suppose if your 'line level' is particularly low in voltage, and you like your music particularly loud, then some cable microphony might be possible - especially if fed from a high impedance source (see above).

M Gregg said:
and that starts the question put the power amp by the speaker and drive an interconnect
This depends on the balance of 'speaker cable resistance vs. speaker varying impedance' and 'interconnect capacitance value and non-linearity vs. source impedance'. My hunch is that in many cases short interconnects and long speaker cables is the better compromise, although this is the opposite of the usual view.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Unlikely. Typical interconnect signal levels are nowhere near any possible nonlinearity problems with any reasonable cable design. I suppose if your 'line level' is particularly low in voltage, and you like your music particularly loud, then some cable microphony might be possible - especially if fed from a high impedance source (see above).

Thinking about RFI and pick up linked to construction.. :)

Regards
M. Gregg

I know they do, some even produce their own... my point is that these cables do the job. Has anybody produced electrical signal test results between cables? I read lots of sales blurb from the companies selling expensive cables, but no hard proof.

I've seen test results for cables published. There were a few articles in I believe Speaker Builder Magazine, maybe Glass Audio. There were measured differences. I think some of the British HiFi press have done them as well. There have also been papers presented to AES conventions, and in the academic journals. Robert Fulton, Professor Malcolm Hawksford, others. Also 'The Supercables Cookbook" by the late Allen Wright, while not specifically a test report, delves into the math and offers practical DIY examples. Some of Wright's designs are the basis for commercial cables.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.