Interconnect questions - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2012, 06:51 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Good job guys...nice way to treat someone.

Dont tell em where you're going Larry...they're going to follow you and torment you there also
Old 24th April 2012, 06:51 PM   #32
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry365 View Post
The inside of a separate does not use special cables to supply the RCA sockets, so why would the signal suddenly become better when it meets a super-dooper IC?
Here you hit the nail on the head.
It doesn't, but it does if you believe it does.

Quote:
This photo is of a Naim CD player.... not cheap.
Even more expensive equipment still has signals going through thin copper tracks on a pcb (let's forget hardwired stuff for the moment).

Last edited by jitter; 24th April 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 25th April 2012, 06:48 PM   #33
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yep, but them PCB traces are up to the job. The problem with cables is that they go outside the (usually) nicley screend box and can act as antenna, and are generaly the logest single path a sinal will have to travel

Last edited by marce; 25th April 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 25th April 2012, 09:30 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
Yep, but them PCB traces are up to the job. The problem with cables is that they go outside the (usually) nicley screend box and can act as antenna, and are generaly the logest single path a sinal will have to travel
...good call Marce
Old 26th April 2012, 03:03 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:

But surely the electrical signal difference between the start of this longest path and the end of it is the same?
Old 26th April 2012, 03:04 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

By measuring with an oscilloscope the start and end one can tell if there is either loss or unwanted gain.
Old 26th April 2012, 03:50 AM   #37
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I always thought quality interconnects were snake oil also and though that the cables that come with components are good enough.
However I recently ordered some of these frorm "monoprice.com" as they were only about $3 US each.

For only $2.43 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3ft Premium 2 RCA Plug/2 RCA Plug M/M 22AWG Cable - Black | Premium Analog RCA Cables

I installed them in my sys and was surprised. I now have more highs and subtle details. It is not a very dramatic difference but, it is noticable and well worth the $3 a cable cost.

Last edited by JoeDJ; 26th April 2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 26th April 2012, 06:37 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

What about the cables that cost $200?

Also, if I make my own cables but using the shortest cable length about 12" will this help?
Old 26th April 2012, 09:26 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry365 View Post
What about the cables that cost $200?

Also, if I make my own cables but using the shortest cable length about 12" will this help?
I found that if you have very revealing equipment, you can detect subtle differences. That doesn’t mean that a 20 dollar cable is not as good as a 2000 dollar cable. These differences can add to OR subtract to the overall subtle change in ones system. A system that’s already "bright" can have just enough nuances from a cable that it makes it a tad harder to listen to. So, a subtle change in the opposite direction can make it just right. But, do you have the money to spend on trying different cables out? Some people do...and they hunt for these subtleties incessantly.

The shorter the cable the better. A 12 inch cable is shorter than the average. I have made cables as long as 6 feet with NO problems.

Go look at my thread...

My contribution to this site...if anyone is interested.
Old 27th April 2012, 04:00 PM   #40
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, they're up to the job, but the point I was trying to make is that they come in one flavour: pcb-trace. There seems to be a whole forest of interconnects out there all getting the job done, most of which seem to be hugely overpriced.
If it weren't for the fact that pcbs are hidden inside a device that we might have a similar choice here too. I can already see the marketing waffle: pertinax, FR4, copper traces, 70u traces, silver traces, gold plated traces, extra wide traces, fancy solder resist coating, you name it...

Hide this!Advertise here!