Destroying ones hearing without knowing it ! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2012, 04:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Destroying ones hearing without knowing it !

I have a friend who has been buying bigger and bigger bass drivers ( including Bagend speakers) to get that 'kicked in the stomach' feeling when watching 'action' movies.
The Bagend's died ! Then they got one ( or two ? ) Eminence Kilomax Pro 18's placed in large ducted cabinets. Now the coil of the driver has ripped off the cone assembly ! I only know that estimated Xmax achieved was close to 20mm in normal use. Sub-sonic frequencies of course( movie sound tracks!).

Would it be safe to conclude that their hearing is on the way out ?
Old 22nd April 2012, 05:12 AM   #2
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Absolutly!
One never knows that they are destroying their hearing until it's too late and the damage is done.
Old 22nd April 2012, 06:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was afraid it would be so !
I have actually told them about it but it was laughed off like a joke. Now I hear they have repaired the Kilomax and are planning to buy ANOTHER driver with larger Xmax to get down to higher intensity subsonic frequencies. Why ? So that bomb explosions and similar sounds can be FELT better !
This might lead to long term capability of just feeling sound as the hearing might no longer be there.
Old 22nd April 2012, 06:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
depends on their EQ. If equalised flat then yes however I doubt they are and the human hearing can withstand greater spl at lower frequancies. I usualy run increasing from flat at 80Hz to +10dB at 20Hz. looking at wikipedia hearing damage thresholds are specified as A weighted therfore if 75dBA average level is ok to listen to a film at 80Hz 95dB is ok and by the time your down to 10Hz 125dB which is a suitably subwoofer destroying level. I recomend your freind gets some subsonic filtering to stop the over excursion!
Old 22nd April 2012, 06:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipman725 View Post
.....I recomend your freind gets some subsonic filtering to stop the over excursion!
They have all that. Fairly comprehensive equaliser and filter modules. But when I suggested using an infasonic filter to protect the drivers , there was no interest ! It cuts off the very low end that they want.

If I am not mistaken they were looking at large ( 15 or 18 inch ) drivers that can do over an inch of Xmax with low Fs. I saw the 24 inch square MTX Jackhammer at $9,000/- +
Weighing 365 lb's !!

Last edited by ashok; 22nd April 2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 22nd April 2012, 01:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
Now I hear they have repaired the Kilomax and are planning to buy ANOTHER driver with larger Xmax to get down to higher intensity subsonic frequencies. Why ? So that bomb explosions and similar sounds can be FELT better !
I wonder what are their neighbors saying?
Show them this:
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/home_theater/index.htm
PS: There are lots of stupid people out there. Don't worry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZRy9VaApcw

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 22nd April 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 22nd April 2012, 01:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

They live outside the big city. Lots of open land and no houses too near. In any case neighbours will not complain , they are big shots !

Wonder if that girl didn't have permanent hearing damage ? It's the US ! A million dollar lawsuit ?
Old 22nd April 2012, 01:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

She is not singular, it's like a sport for retarded rednecks, wiggers and trailer trash chicks with long hair and short brains.
As for lawsuit - only if a big company (big money) asks you to do that as part of your work contract. OSA regulations.
If you are stupid and kill your ears willingly...

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 22nd April 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 22nd April 2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Banned

That device called "thebuttkicker" actually has merit.

I used to have a subwoofer pointed at the back of my lazy-boy, it works very well.
It works even better if the box is in contact with the chair.

It's a great way to "feel" the bass, even with lower power levels.

The couch is a great spot to hide a woofer enclosure.
Old 22nd April 2012, 02:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

If a wife cant ruin your hearing..nothing will. OR...if your loudspeakers levels have made you deaf...then you have succeded where married man has failed.

Hide this!Advertise here!