Destroying ones hearing without knowing it !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a friend who has been buying bigger and bigger bass drivers ( including Bagend speakers) to get that 'kicked in the stomach' feeling when watching 'action' movies.
The Bagend's died ! Then they got one ( or two ? ) Eminence Kilomax Pro 18's placed in large ducted cabinets. Now the coil of the driver has ripped off the cone assembly ! I only know that estimated Xmax achieved was close to 20mm in normal use. Sub-sonic frequencies of course( movie sound tracks!).

Would it be safe to conclude that their hearing is on the way out ? :eek:

I was afraid it would be so !
I have actually told them about it but it was laughed off like a joke. Now I hear they have repaired the Kilomax and are planning to buy ANOTHER driver with larger Xmax to get down to higher intensity subsonic frequencies. Why ? So that bomb explosions and similar sounds can be FELT better !
This might lead to long term capability of just feeling sound as the hearing might no longer be there.:rolleyes:

Joined 2007
Paid Member
depends on their EQ. If equalised flat then yes however I doubt they are and the human hearing can withstand greater spl at lower frequancies. I usualy run increasing from flat at 80Hz to +10dB at 20Hz. looking at wikipedia hearing damage thresholds are specified as A weighted therfore if 75dBA average level is ok to listen to a film at 80Hz 95dB is ok and by the time your down to 10Hz 125dB which is a suitably subwoofer destroying level. I recomend your freind gets some subsonic filtering to stop the over excursion!

.....I recomend your freind gets some subsonic filtering to stop the over excursion!

They have all that. Fairly comprehensive equaliser and filter modules. But when I suggested using an infasonic filter to protect the drivers , there was no interest ! It cuts off the very low end that they want.

If I am not mistaken they were looking at large ( 15 or 18 inch ) drivers that can do over an inch of Xmax with low Fs. I saw the 24 inch square MTX Jackhammer at $9,000/- + :eek:
Weighing 365 lb's !!

Last edited:
Last edited:
She is not singular, it's like a sport for retarded rednecks, wiggers and trailer trash chicks with long hair and short brains.
As for lawsuit - only if a big company (big money) asks you to do that as part of your work contract. OSA regulations.
If you are stupid and kill your ears willingly...

Last edited:
That device called "thebuttkicker" actually has merit.

I used to have a subwoofer pointed at the back of my lazy-boy, it works very well.
It works even better if the box is in contact with the chair.

It's a great way to "feel" the bass, even with lower power levels.

The couch is a great spot to hide a woofer enclosure.

If they're aiming for real low bass, they'd be better off with multiple 12" or 15" long-excursion drivers in sealed boxes. More drivers = more efficiency, more voicecoils to take the power. Back when the Bass List was doing group buys of the NHT1259, at least one guy bought 8 (and was planning to use them all in one room). 8 of whatever Creative Sound is currently selling ought to kick something, and might come in under $1000 for drivers.

Alternatively (or in addition), they should investigate horn-loading, possibly a built-in-place horn.

On further thought, maybe they just need more midbass capability. Punch comes from higher frequencies.

Bag End sells an illusion of low bass. They use sealed cabinets with a very high F3, then apply 12 dB/octave boost to make it flat. But with an automatic variable high-pass filter to prevent amp and driver from being overloaded, so the reality is that the deep bass capability is limited, unless you have a truckload of subs. See the "Way Down Deep" review:
Way Down Deep II Bag End S21E | Home Theater

Just a thought,

Can it hurt you if you can't hear it? (Above or below hearing range)
Perhaps its interesting to Know if an amp is quiet with no input...or how loud it actually is when playing information.

Regards
M. Gregg

There is active military research there. Inducing nausea is already proven. Civilian applications include crowd control. The skin is a pressure sensitive organ, there is bone conduction, etc. The brain does not use only the ear to perceive "sound".

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.