2.1 stereo system. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2.1 stereo system.

Is there a tutorial on how to build a basic 2.1 stereo system?
As in Left and Right speakers and a subwoofer.
I currently have two JBL MR26 speakers, and I might buy a subwoofer if necessary.
I would like to learn how to make a basic stereo setup for this.
I plan on buying one of these eventually:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-383

But I'd like to learn how to do some basic wiring myself.

Last edited by sunchops; 15th April 2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Update info
Old 18th April 2012, 01:25 PM   #2
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Uh, maybe you want to look at the AudioSource amps because if I remember correctly, there's one model that you can attach a sub to it. However, I read stereo woofers is better.
Old 19th April 2012, 05:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Okay, any recommendations on size of woofers?
Old 19th April 2012, 07:54 PM   #4
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

I might not be the one for recommendations on woofers but some say 8 to 12 inch or at least 6-1/2".
Old 19th April 2012, 08:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Will this be a Large or Small room? Desktop office system? What kind of music? Budget limitations? Technical limitations? Do you like bananas? Full Range or Multi-Way? Analog or Digital Source? Why is this noob asking so many questions? Data. Plain and simple. You need help, these guys need to know more. "Know" what you want first and they can help. A little research goes a long way round these parts.
Old 20th April 2012, 03:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYampNOOB View Post
Will this be a Large or Small room? Desktop office system? What kind of music? Budget limitations? Technical limitations? Do you like bananas? Full Range or Multi-Way? Analog or Digital Source? Why is this noob asking so many questions? Data. Plain and simple. You need help, these guys need to know more. "Know" what you want first and they can help. A little research goes a long way round these parts.
This will be for bedroom at about roughly W:14ft x L:15ft H:7'6"
It'll be music mostly, with movies and gaming fairly frequently. Desktop, but I wouldn't mind saving myself the desk space and making stand for the speakers, or just making a set of tower speakers
Music:
Rock: Alice In Chains, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles
Ska/Reggae: Ballyhoo!, Mishka, The Expendables, Rebelution, Less Than Jake, Pepper
Metal: Mastodon, Rammstein, Baroness, Sleep, Electric Wizard, Steel Panther, Sepultura
HipHop/Rap: Dr. Dre, Notorious BIG, Public Enemy, Yelawolf, King Fantastic
Alt/Indie: Belle and Sebastian, Ingrid Michaelson, Feist, Cat Power, Aunt Martha, Noah and the Whale, Bon Iver, Iron & Wine

Source:
all of this is most likely going to be digital, as my turntable is currently nonoperational.
-I currently have 2 JBL MR26 speakers, would these be good for this application, or should I just go for it and build my own speakers?
Budget limitations: With the JBL's $150, without the JBL's $250-$300. If making tower speakers, $650.(US dollar)
What does full range mean? Is that a full range of frequencies? If so than yes, and in that case, what does Multi way mean?
Old 20th April 2012, 03:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Oh man , somebody 's got to say it !
A fullrange ( speaker ) is a loudspeaker that reproduces fairly good all
the spectrum . You can find FR everywhere , from Tv's ,radios , the good ol'
tape/radio(cd) portable combos ; also headphones are FR!!
But for phisycal laws , a single speaker cannot reproduce ALL the frequencies of the audio band alltogether , so there's a differentiation : the bigger cone (heavier , slower )would then reproduce the bass , the littler the treble ;
so the JBL that you've got are 2-way speakers , and the splitting ,filtering of the frequencies to separate them is done by the crossover . This is formed by passive elements ,inductors ,capacitors and resistors , that fulfill the duty to split the band in 2-3-or more parts. There are also the so-called active crossovers , more used in the professional field ,which divide the audio band before the amplification stage.
Old 21st April 2012, 02:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well stated.
Old 23rd April 2012, 03:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Okay so I answered all your questions and then you just ignore them. I'm here for help. Any suggestions based on my answers to the questions DIYampNOOB asked?
Old 23rd April 2012, 06:01 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

What kind of amp(s) do you have?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!