Warning: Nakamichi plugs made of IRON

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I discovered that Nakamichi banana plugs and spade terminals are gold plated iron, NOT "pure copper" as advertised. Note that it appears that Nakamichiplug.com is NOT associated Nakamichi.com; I have no issues with Nakamichi (the real one) gear. I have seen several postings on this forum and others about using Nakamichi banana plugs and other connectors, and wanted to let folks know that they are an overpriced piece of gold plated iron. Hey, they look nice, and the moderate price would make one think that they're getting a good deal. Nope. :mad:

Discovered by breaking a tip on a spade plug trying to get it to fit an 8mm post; copper doesn't snap like that and upon magnification is definitely not copper by looks. Filed down that piece, and sample filings on other pieces and also some banana plugs, discovered all were a gold plating on copper plating on soft iron. Finally verified it by dropping it in some hydrochloric acid, and as expected the iron reacted (slowly). (Don't have any nitric acid to test with which is very reactive with copper but not as much with iron.)

FYI.

That's a bit of a cheek, ripping off the name and the logo.

The complete lack of any "about us" info on their website should be a warning sign - not even a name, address or phone number. The domain name registration fills in a few blanks, though...

p.s. Do they stick to magnets?

Attachments

• nakamichiplug.GIF
    nakamichiplug.GIF
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,210
probly some radiation thrown in for shnits n giggles...:D

Gives the sound body!:D I have had multiple cables, interconnects, and connectors, and the only ting I have heard a difference in was stranded vs solid. I do believe i can hear that. I traded my brothers eichmann plugs with fancy silver wire in for diy Belden solid core RG6 and Neutrik RCA and he nor I could tell the difference.

Gives the sound body!:D I have had multiple cables, interconnects, and connectors, and the only ting I have heard a difference in was stranded vs solid. I do believe i can hear that. I traded my brothers eichmann plugs with fancy silver wire in for diy Belden solid core RG6 and Neutrik RCA and he nor I could tell the difference.

heh...you need to clean your ears with irradiated q-tips...:D

Re: Warning: Nakamichi plugs "Not made of copper"

Slight attraction to magnet, the pot-metal mix is more likely. And I don't have a geiger counter...heck, not even some old fashion film around the house to test that idea! Conductively they'll work for the project I am using them which is more show than sound. Problem is that most bent spades are bent at an angle around 30° from the mounting plane; I like mine bent more like 60° - 75° (on wall plates ~90°). Pot metal or whatever, bend = snap. The other problem at least with the some of the spades I ordered is the inside spade width is ~7.5mm, bend it out a bit to fit a regular 8mm binding post and...snap. :( Just wanted to get the word out to the community...the company did refund my money after I sent them a photo. :)

I recently got some Nakamichi plugs (ebay) and I was very disatisfied with them.
This was for a topping TP20-mk2 amp.

So, I got a 2 pair of very good "closed screw" type plugs from PE and they are great.
They are solidly designed and constucted. They are also very inexpensive.

I wound up soldering the speaker wires to them for a very secure connection even though it was not nessary.

For only $1.23 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1 PAIR OF High-Quality Copper Speaker Banana Plugs - Closed Screw Type [JX-74043] | Banana Plugs

Slight attraction to magnet, the pot-metal mix is more likely. And I don't have a geiger counter...heck, not even some old fashion film around the house to test that idea! Conductively they'll work for the project I am using them which is more show than sound. Problem is that most bent spades are bent at an angle around 30° from the mounting plane; I like mine bent more like 60° - 75° (on wall plates ~90°). Pot metal or whatever, bend = snap. The other problem at least with the some of the spades I ordered is the inside spade width is ~7.5mm, bend it out a bit to fit a regular 8mm binding post and...snap. :( Just wanted to get the word out to the community...the company did refund my money after I sent them a photo. :)

heh..., Who bought Naka plugs and test ? How to test? I bought Naka BFA banana plugs. They seem good. The sound also very good. BFA plugs not stick to magnets.

Just to add to the discussion, here are another fake banana plugs on eBay.co.uk: "4xHigh Quality,heavy duty real pure copper connector body SPEAKER BANANA #JT010"

URl Link: 4xHigh Quality,heavy duty real pure copper connector body SPEAKER BANANA #JT010 | eBay

I purchased 8 of them and quality is horrible, two where loose, and after one screw snapped broken, I became concerned with the copper content in it. I have cut through its body and under its plating, you guessed now, - Aluminium or shiny color metal and NO copper!

I discovered that Nakamichi banana plugs and spade terminals are gold plated iron, NOT "pure copper" as advertised. Note that it appears that Nakamichiplug.com is NOT associated Nakamichi.com; I have no issues with Nakamichi (the real one) gear. I have seen several postings on this forum and others about using Nakamichi banana plugs and other connectors, and wanted to let folks know that they are an overpriced piece of gold plated iron. Hey, they look nice, and the moderate price would make one think that they're getting a good deal. Nope. :mad:

Discovered by breaking a tip on a spade plug trying to get it to fit an 8mm post; copper doesn't snap like that and upon magnification is definitely not copper by looks. Filed down that piece, and sample filings on other pieces and also some banana plugs, discovered all were a gold plating on copper plating on soft iron. Finally verified it by dropping it in some hydrochloric acid, and as expected the iron reacted (slowly). (Don't have any nitric acid to test with which is very reactive with copper but not as much with iron.)

FYI.

Original Nakamichi banana plugs or RCA plugs have never manufactured in iron or steel.
It just looks like you are looking to give Nakamichi bad advertising.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.