Ported or Sealed box for Convertible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What sounds better in a convertible ported or sealed boxes or even perhaps a band pass box? I have a 1965 malibu convertible, full dynomat extreme and dynalined. I am asking this because i will be buying the subs soon and want to make sure the sub will fit the application. I currently am collecting my individual componets, I bought a critical mass ula2500 to use as the sub amp, and a critical mass ula 800 to use as the highs amp.

Last edited:
What sounds better in a convertible ported or sealed boxes or even perhaps a band pass box? I have a 1965 malibu convertible, full dynomat extreme and dynalined. I am asking this because i will be buying the subs soon and want to make sure the sub will fit the application. I currently am collecting my individual componets, I bought a critical mass ula2500 to use as the sub amp, and a critical mass ula 800 to use as the highs amp.

The most important thing is to port the trunk into the listening area. Or all the BASS will stay in the trunk. And it will become one gigantic rattle box.
Traditionally the easiest way is to get 4 abs ports 4" x 5" standard ports and squeese them on the sides of the convertible top when down without ruining the top. Its triky but can be done. The point is to port the trunk like you would port a box.

Because your car has a huge trunk I would go with 2 15s or even 2 12s(make usre they are 2 ohms so they are 1 ohm together to get the most out of your Critical MASS ula2500v2.0 or 1.0) Your Amplifier makes 2500 Watts RMS at .75 ohms so at 1 ohm it will make about 2200 Watts RMS.

Since you already have CM the obvious choice would be the UL12 but do to the rediculous price I would not go with it all though 1 UL12 in a small sealed Box approx .75qft would produce huge output and clarity to match but you have such a huge trunk that it would make no sense. Hence if you want to keep it all CM and spend only a fraction of the UL12 cost I would go with 2 SS152 subwoofers ( 15" 2 ohm ) work in small sealed or ported (I would go with sealed 3.86 qft Total for both)

I have used critical MASS in my own vehicles and I know the SS152 or SS122 will handle 1000W all day long (even though they say 500W RMS)
A pair of SS152 s would work in a
combined total of 3.86 qft sealed including both drivers.
or
if you have the space go with a 7 qft total for 2 of them with 2 ports each 6" internal diameter by 22" long.

Both of these sound amzing and pound the breath out of you with the 2500.

The Box needs to be with the woofers and ports facing the opening of the trunk (rear of car). The ports we spoke about previously (that port the trunk into the listening area) will do the rest.

Termleezy 13: Critical mass at the headrest!!! - YouTubeattached is a video I looked at of 2 SS122s getting 3000W RMS @ 144.1db (not bad at all for sound quality Subs)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.