DC motors and speed control - vibraphone motor help - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2012, 05:57 PM   #11
cancon is offline cancon  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ya, no luck finding any info through Musser. No contact info or anything.
I'd like variable speed control - the musser unit has dedicated pre-set stops (5?), which may be limiting. The hastle of copying and building the circuit, sourcing parts and housing...I think its worth to just get the speed control at $65. Oriental Motors would sell the motor, gear head and controller for $233 with free shipping, although it is likely i'll get dinged with customs/brokerage.

I just want to make sure my gear ratio is OK, right now i'm looking at 7.5:1 which translates to 200rpm (company spec) down to 12rpm given the motor's speeds (1600rpm down to 90rpm). The vibrato mechanism actually produces two vibrato beats per rotation, and if the drive shaft is half the size of the other pulleys, I'd be getting 12 beats per min, up to 200.

Actually this motor/gearhead combo is up for sale on ebay (minus speed control) for $30! The only thing I'm worried about is the motor capacitor. OM website says it is included with the motor, but is it built in? if it is not included, enzo, do you think you can source that capacitor information from the unit in front of you?

Last edited by cancon; 11th April 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11th April 2012, 06:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

scratch that last bit about capacitors, found that info on the website. They can be purchased separately through OM
Old 12th April 2012, 08:51 PM   #13
jukea is offline jukea  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi !

Wow, glad to have found this thread, as I'm also building a motor for a vibraphone. Here's what I got so far :

24v DC motor at 360 rpm (with gearbox, very quiet, but waiting to hear it while playing) for 12$ at Adisson (Montreal). IT's an overstock store. This particular motor isn't on the web store thought .. (Moteur)

for the speed controller :

https://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/MX033

then, for the actual pulley, or spool .. that's hooked up to the motor shaft.. I'm still looking. You have to consider the ratio of the wheel against the one that's on the vibraphone. e.g: A ratio of 2 will double the actual rotation speed.

check this link: eBelting.com, Urethane Conveyor Belting

best
Old 17th April 2012, 04:36 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Cool, be sure to let me know how it works out.
I settled on all the parts discussed last - 90-1500rpm speed control motor with 9:1 gear head (10-170 rpm) and a speed controller, all Oriental Motors. Got the controller new (2yr warranty), but the motor and gear head on ebay. $150 all in. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 17th April 2012, 05:23 AM   #15
jukea is offline jukea  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ok!
What did you use to couple the shaft to a pulley ? and for the pulley itself ? elastic ? That's where I'm stuck right know.. The simpler components, ironically..
Old 19th April 2012, 09:10 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

mcmaster.com is the best site ever, but oh well, they don't ship to canada! have any relatives or kind board members who could be your middle man?
Old 20th April 2012, 12:28 AM   #17
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know the Canadian market, but nothing to lose by contacting McMaster-Carr, and asking if they have a Canadian counterpart they could refer you to. Since they don;t ship to Canada, it wouldn;t really be competiton for them.

Hide this!Advertise here!