piezo tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love these cheap, simple to install and almost indestructible little squakers, but for me they have to finish off the upper-end in a home recording/practice setup (room about 20 by 30 feet) on top of high-powered HF horns.

My horns disperse no problem. The pezos I use just seem to get lost against these big brothers.

I have seen Klipsch use them in array patterns before for larger setups.

Has anyone out there had success in this area? Is it simply a matter of buying a dozen of them, or is there a product out there with higher levels of output?

p

I have a choice of cheap, off off shore compression drivers from a number of local (Toronto) bargain electronics outlets

Some of them look a lot like JBL bullets. No product info with them though, and I'm not sure I would put much salt into them if they existed. On the other hand, they might be big bang for the buck knock offs. Not everybody respects design patents.

You're near a major ocean port, Cal. What interesting stuff have you seen fall off the boats out there?

6k to 12k or so will do for me. I run an active crossover at 24 db slope, but my high end is crossed currently at 800, sometimes lower. I have a gate and compressor/limiter at my disposal if that helps.

p

Last edited:
Ok Cal. Being a person who buys at the low end of buying trend-cycles, I just grabbed a Cerwin Vega HT 12-d passive sub (8ohm load) used for like, the price of a case of beer after chill charge.

Decent enough cast alluminum frame driver by home gear standards.

My question: I'm new to dual voice coil drivers. Is there a disadvantage to just wiring into one side of the driver. I have already gone in and bypassed the passive crossover on one side and feed an active eq'd signal to it with OK results.

Its not as effecient as I expected. My amp can easily handle a 4 ohm load which I know I can achieve by wiring changes, but, what is the upside to including the second voice coil other than an ohm differnce?

peter

the advantage for me of using just one voice coil is that it frees up the second one for use with another sound source without having to re-patch.

This way, I get to throw my active-crossover amp signal into a passive crossover-bypassed input, and my kid gets to use the other voice coil via the other channel (which still uses the original passive crossover).

Helps keep the peace at home by giving everybody something

p

after auditioning the setup a second time and on recordings of different genres and time periods, I may have been wrong to say the CV sub was lacking in effeciency.

i was comparing it to the slightly smaller sub i use on the other side of the room, which after stricter comparison might be simply more boomy, a performance difference my ear should have been educated enough to perceive the first time around.

deep bass has the reputation of being omni-present in spread pattern, but my setup presents a suprising number of hollow spots as i walk around the listening space. the further you move away from them, the better the rig sounds. distance is a long wavelengths friend I guess.

teach me to listen for one thing and not the bigger picture.

p

i can understand the cancellation part (like having speakers out of phase i guess) but does using sub woofers enhance this affect? whats a person supposed to do here? live outdoors?

bass moves more air than higher frequencies,right? maybe this additional power provides the thrust needed to provide troublesome bounce behaviour

i have all sorts of non-parallel and odd shaped surfaces in my room. furniture and carpeting too. maybe i will have to look into bass traps-but that sounds pretty bulky

My only issue with switch boxes is their power limitation. The ones I have seen are rated for 50 or 100 watts, a lot less than sub amp puts out at 8, much less 4 ohms.

I actually caved in and went in to the crossover today and bypassed the crossover on the second input as well, and tied the speakers second coil input with the other one in parallel, dropping the ohmage to the 4 range i think it is.

I haven't been able to try it out yet but will let you know how the test goes.

the kid will have to do with the existing speakers wired in to her gaming set up. they are a decent set of paradigms which should be capable of reproducing the machine gun, hand grenade and shrieks of body-dismembering action sounds 'tour of duty' is awash in.

that idea makes perfect sence, except that the amplifiers involved are on opposite sides of the room. Also, the source signls for my larger setup are balanced and wired XLR.

I could balance all the input signals involved for nice and quiet 50 foot runs, but that would mean buying more impedance transformers. The type I use for my recording gear (called D-I boxes) are 50 bucks a pop, and frankly I would rather buy another used power amp with that money!

(Got one for sale?)

p

woofers are in place for now. I would like to replace the amp I have powering my highs with something more professional. I am currently using a home audio receiver not designed to be used in close proximity with more powerful, professional amps and other electronics. I have found Kijiji to be a pretty good source of used stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.