piezo tweeters - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2012, 02:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

after auditioning the setup a second time and on recordings of different genres and time periods, I may have been wrong to say the CV sub was lacking in effeciency.

i was comparing it to the slightly smaller sub i use on the other side of the room, which after stricter comparison might be simply more boomy, a performance difference my ear should have been educated enough to perceive the first time around.

deep bass has the reputation of being omni-present in spread pattern, but my setup presents a suprising number of hollow spots as i walk around the listening space. the further you move away from them, the better the rig sounds. distance is a long wavelengths friend I guess.

teach me to listen for one thing and not the bigger picture.

p
Old 6th April 2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Peter,

The deep bass is omnidirectional. What you are experiencing is cancellation from reflections.
Old 6th April 2012, 08:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

i can understand the cancellation part (like having speakers out of phase i guess) but does using sub woofers enhance this affect? whats a person supposed to do here? live outdoors?

bass moves more air than higher frequencies,right? maybe this additional power provides the thrust needed to provide troublesome bounce behaviour

i have all sorts of non-parallel and odd shaped surfaces in my room. furniture and carpeting too. maybe i will have to look into bass traps-but that sounds pretty bulky
Old 7th April 2012, 06:10 AM   #14
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter day View Post
but does using sub woofers enhance this affect?
Yes. You can reduce it by moving the woofer(s) but room reflections will always play a part and sometimes you just have to live with it if you can't put your woofers where they sound the best for your environment.
Old 7th April 2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter day View Post
the advantage for me of using just one voice coil is that it frees up the second one for use with another sound source without having to re-patch.
What about using a dual source switch box?
Old 8th April 2012, 01:00 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

My only issue with switch boxes is their power limitation. The ones I have seen are rated for 50 or 100 watts, a lot less than sub amp puts out at 8, much less 4 ohms.

I actually caved in and went in to the crossover today and bypassed the crossover on the second input as well, and tied the speakers second coil input with the other one in parallel, dropping the ohmage to the 4 range i think it is.

I haven't been able to try it out yet but will let you know how the test goes.

the kid will have to do with the existing speakers wired in to her gaming set up. they are a decent set of paradigms which should be capable of reproducing the machine gun, hand grenade and shrieks of body-dismembering action sounds 'tour of duty' is awash in.
Old 8th April 2012, 06:51 AM   #17
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

By dual source switch box I was thinking about one that deals with the source input not a speaker box. That way you could use one amp, both coils driven and use the source box as a feed. No power runs through it. Is that possible?
Old 8th April 2012, 11:15 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

that idea makes perfect sence, except that the amplifiers involved are on opposite sides of the room. Also, the source signls for my larger setup are balanced and wired XLR.

I could balance all the input signals involved for nice and quiet 50 foot runs, but that would mean buying more impedance transformers. The type I use for my recording gear (called D-I boxes) are 50 bucks a pop, and frankly I would rather buy another used power amp with that money!

(Got one for sale?)

p
Old 8th April 2012, 04:57 PM   #19
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I like to visit my local thrift shops and pawn shops for extra amps. Sometimes there are deals to be had.

Is there perhaps another woofer on your horizon?
Old 9th April 2012, 10:06 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

woofers are in place for now. I would like to replace the amp I have powering my highs with something more professional. I am currently using a home audio receiver not designed to be used in close proximity with more powerful, professional amps and other electronics. I have found Kijiji to be a pretty good source of used stuff.

Hide this!Advertise here!