Badly-designed cheap product strikes again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I opened up this portable speaker with the intention of converting into a passive one,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It is a mono speaker that accepts 3.5mm stereo input. I couldn't see clearly the different solder joints for the red and white input wires, so I looked at the bottom of the PCB,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And I realized that I didn't see wrong, the red and white wires are indeed connected together. A quick check by the meter confirms it to be the case. :eek:

Pardon the zero error of the cheap meter.

Would it have cost them too much to include two more resistors? Luckily I haven't connected it to a headphone amp, or I'd be even more mad if something of mine did spoil. :mad:

I opened up this portable speaker with the intention of converting into a passive one,

Pardon the zero error of the cheap meter.

Would it have cost them too much to include two more resistors? Luckily I haven't connected it to a headphone amp, or I'd be even more mad if something of mine did spoil. :mad:

The zero error is often just the lead and connection resistance. Some meters allow you to do an offset adjustment. The important issue is that you recognize the difference.

It has been a long time since anyone effectively sold a small amplifier that could not tolerate the two channels shorted into one. Some one can insert a mono plug and short the right output or even put the plug in 1/2 way and short both. So a robust output is required to prevent lots of warranty failures.

Yes once opening up a three way speaker was fun. The woofer was fine. Terminals on the midrange driver but no voice coil. The tweeter didn't even have terminals!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.