2.0 System for TV on a budget( fullrange?) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2012, 09:57 PM   #1
87regal is offline 87regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 2.0 System for TV on a budget( fullrange?)

I am looking for some input on an idea I had about a cheap 2.0 system to replace the weak speakers in my LED tv. It's going in a large bedroom, and will almost exclusively be used for watching tv/video games. I do not plan on watching many movies in this room, so I am trying to get away with no sub.

I planned on picking up something like the Lepai TA-2020(Tripath) for <$25, and picking up a pair of 6" or 8" drivers that will work well full range. Space is not much of an issue, so a t-line or horn loaded design is feasible.

Any driver suggestions? The cheaper the better. I have checked the PE and Madi clearance sections, and I didn't see anything that looked good for full range(Arua NS6?). I was set on full-range because I wanted to try something new, and I like the idea of simplicity, but should I forget about it? Also, I am capable of coming up with my own enclosure design so I don't need something that already has plans to go with it.

Last edited by 87regal; 14th March 2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 15th March 2012, 11:05 PM   #2
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hit the yard sales and thrift stores. People are virtually giving away fine stereo speakers. I couldn't resist pairs of Energy Excel mini monitors for $6, Minimus 7's for $10, KLH Model 17 for $12. Just watch out for rotten foam surrounds.

Car stereo stores probably chuck out a lot of OEM speakers when they replace or upgrade factory systems. Try asking: you might wind up with a carton full of speakers to play with. Some OEM speakers now use neodymium magnets; I found a pair at a thrift store. I don't know if that has any sonic benefity, but they're incredibly lightweight since the basket is reinforced plastic. I plan on using them in a portable boombox. There's also a good chance of finding car speakers at yard sales.
Old 17th March 2012, 03:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That's a very good point. I had considered doing that but the problem is that I don't really know what to look for(my background is in car audio). I guess I could find some deals cheap enough to gamble on.

I've done some research, looks like a pair of Aura NS3s full range could do the trick.
Old 17th March 2012, 04:11 PM   #4
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I would imagine that a major consideration for you would be speaker size.

I got the Lepai 2020 amp you are considering. I tried it with my relatively inefficient 8 ohm speakers and it gave plenty of clean volume at resonable volume levels, cetainly no louder than you would want in your bedroom.
So, most any speakers that you can find should work for your purposes.

As "dangus" said, thrift stores are a great place to find vintage speaker bargins. They might not be the very best but, they will be inexpensive.

BTW, a sub is not just for movies. A well balanced sys will sound good for alll program material.
So , IMO an inexpensive (powered) sub might still be an option for you. Get your main speakers first and see how you like the sound.
Old 18th March 2012, 12:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Minimus 7 (a Radio Shack product) dangus referred to is a gem. Aluminium cast enclosure and soft-dome tweeter. Later-on they introduced the PRO-77 with a 5" LF speaker. Add a sub and you are set! E
Old 19th March 2012, 11:11 PM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Minimus 7 has a rubber surround, too, so they don't rot. The 77 tragically has a foam surround, which I can confirm does indeed rot (found a white pair at Value Village). Worth getting if they're cheap enough, either to refoam, or to stuff better drivers in there. Or just use the case to mount some electronics inside (T-amp, media player, small LCD monitor).

When it comes to home speakers, my rules of thumb would be to look for dome tweeters (or better), non-rotten surrounds on the woofers, solid cabinets and "made in" North America, England, Europe. Japanese speakers if they have cool features like exotic tweeters, odd-shaped woofers; most were just churned out to complete one-brand rack systems for the masses. Speakers with rotten foam can be worth getting just to salvage the tweeters.

Some Aura speakers were popular as studio monitors, not because they sounded good, but because they sounded like typical one-driver speakers found in portable radios or in TV sets. The Yamaha NS10 was also popular because it exemplified the typical home stereo speaker.

Last edited by dangus; 19th March 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:00 AM   #7
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I always add 3.5mm type sockets to the casework of any TV I buy.
Either side, near the speakers so they are easy to wire up and with
plugs in disconnect the internal speakers. Any half decent cheap
used speakers will then make a big difference in quality and volume.

rgds, sreten.
Old 20th March 2012, 12:31 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangus View Post
The 77 tragically has a foam surround, which I can confirm does indeed rot (found a white pair at Value Village). Worth getting if they're cheap enough, either to refoam,
A recent post pointed out some 77 refoams... i have 3 white ones in need of attention, Mate those with your pair and there's a set of 5.

dave
Old 21st March 2012, 08:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll check out some yard sales. If I can't find anything good I'm probably going to order a pair of Aura NS3s. If I can get the response down to 50hz or so I think I can get by without a sub.

Hide this!Advertise here!