2.0 System for TV on a budget( fullrange?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for some input on an idea I had about a cheap 2.0 system to replace the weak speakers in my LED tv. It's going in a large bedroom, and will almost exclusively be used for watching tv/video games. I do not plan on watching many movies in this room, so I am trying to get away with no sub.

I planned on picking up something like the Lepai TA-2020(Tripath) for <$25, and picking up a pair of 6" or 8" drivers that will work well full range. Space is not much of an issue, so a t-line or horn loaded design is feasible.

Any driver suggestions? The cheaper the better. I have checked the PE and Madi clearance sections, and I didn't see anything that looked good for full range(Arua NS6?). I was set on full-range because I wanted to try something new, and I like the idea of simplicity, but should I forget about it? Also, I am capable of coming up with my own enclosure design so I don't need something that already has plans to go with it.

Last edited:
Hit the yard sales and thrift stores. People are virtually giving away fine stereo speakers. I couldn't resist pairs of Energy Excel mini monitors for $6, Minimus 7's for $10, KLH Model 17 for $12. Just watch out for rotten foam surrounds.

Car stereo stores probably chuck out a lot of OEM speakers when they replace or upgrade factory systems. Try asking: you might wind up with a carton full of speakers to play with. Some OEM speakers now use neodymium magnets; I found a pair at a thrift store. I don't know if that has any sonic benefity, but they're incredibly lightweight since the basket is reinforced plastic. I plan on using them in a portable boombox. There's also a good chance of finding car speakers at yard sales.

That's a very good point. I had considered doing that but the problem is that I don't really know what to look for(my background is in car audio). I guess I could find some deals cheap enough to gamble on.

I've done some research, looks like a pair of Aura NS3s full range could do the trick.

I would imagine that a major consideration for you would be speaker size.

I got the Lepai 2020 amp you are considering. I tried it with my relatively inefficient 8 ohm speakers and it gave plenty of clean volume at resonable volume levels, cetainly no louder than you would want in your bedroom.
So, most any speakers that you can find should work for your purposes.

As "dangus" said, thrift stores are a great place to find vintage speaker bargins. They might not be the very best but, they will be inexpensive.

BTW, a sub is not just for movies. A well balanced sys will sound good for alll program material.
So , IMO an inexpensive (powered) sub might still be an option for you. Get your main speakers first and see how you like the sound.

The Minimus 7 has a rubber surround, too, so they don't rot. The 77 tragically has a foam surround, which I can confirm does indeed rot (found a white pair at Value Village). Worth getting if they're cheap enough, either to refoam, or to stuff better drivers in there. Or just use the case to mount some electronics inside (T-amp, media player, small LCD monitor).

When it comes to home speakers, my rules of thumb would be to look for dome tweeters (or better), non-rotten surrounds on the woofers, solid cabinets and "made in" North America, England, Europe. Japanese speakers if they have cool features like exotic tweeters, odd-shaped woofers; most were just churned out to complete one-brand rack systems for the masses. Speakers with rotten foam can be worth getting just to salvage the tweeters.

Some Aura speakers were popular as studio monitors, not because they sounded good, but because they sounded like typical one-driver speakers found in portable radios or in TV sets. The Yamaha NS10 was also popular because it exemplified the typical home stereo speaker.

Last edited:
Hi,

I always add 3.5mm type sockets to the casework of any TV I buy.
Either side, near the speakers so they are easy to wire up and with
plugs in disconnect the internal speakers. Any half decent cheap
used speakers will then make a big difference in quality and volume.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.