We need a new forum or two. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default We need a new forum or two.

We need 2 new forum areas.

The first is a room dedicated to beginners where people who are new to DIYaudio or new to a certain aspect of DIYaudio could ask questions. It could also hold tutorials and write-ups for everyone to use as a lot of questions on this site are answered by linking to tutorials and write-up on another site.

The second room, and the one I feel the strongest about, is an acoustics room. So does Alan Parsons (Alan Parsons on audiophiles - Boing Boing). For years I have known that the room is more important then any of the gear you put in it. So many people are unaware, ignore or don't understand that the room your equipment in is part of your audio system. They need to know how to measure and improve their rooms accoustics. We need an area for projects, plans and discussion so we can bring our systems to the next level.
Old 13th March 2012, 07:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm a newbie to this forum and I'd love a section for beginner discussion and help. I also have a great deal of room acoustic treatment experience and agree that it's an essential part of any system design. +1 on both of your suggestions!
Old 13th March 2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A Noob/Stupid Question section has been discussed by the moderation team. It's a good idea that may be coming sometime.

I'd also like to see an acoustics section, but fear it might get little traffic. Not many people are that interested, judging by the posts on this forum. We need a "Good acoustics and a nice Living-room are not mutually exclusive" thread.
Old 13th March 2012, 09:36 PM   #4
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes... an acoustical forum can be most helpful to " beginners"

I'm amazed at the blank stares I often get when I tell people (non audiophiles) that a large portion of what they hear is not comming from their speakers but, reflected.

Personally, I'm currently cursed whith a terrible acoustical enviourment which is a an "L' shaped room.
Old 14th March 2012, 04:10 AM   #5
Lavcat is offline Lavcat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDJ View Post
Personally, I'm currently cursed whith a terrible acoustical enviourment which is a an "L' shaped room.
I too have an L shaped room, a living room/dining room combination, but I am pleased with the sound I get. I use many, many tube traps to balance the response. It's as close as I can come to a live end - dead end setup.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:57 PM   #6
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I agree one rooms, unlike a lot of USA houses, over here in the UK rooms are very small, low celing and almost square!!!!! I moved house and got a totaly different sound, my problem is WAF approved room treatment (currently listen at low levels at night, but miss the dynamics that pumping out a few more Db gives me.
Did suggest moving again (we rent), less than satisfactory responce from the spouse on that one.
Old 19th March 2012, 01:16 PM   #7
ElEsido is offline ElEsido  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

+1 for a rooms/acoustics forum.
Old 19th March 2012, 01:25 PM   #8
TB is offline TB  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I did notice that more often beginners questions irritate some forum members. I am a beginner too and some of my questions were ignored. In this case openning beginner section would be great for all of us.
Old 19th March 2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB View Post
Hello,
I did notice that more often beginners questions irritate some forum members. I am a beginner too and some of my questions were ignored. In this case openning beginner section would be great for all of us.
There is tons of information to be found on forums in general, not just at DIYaudio.
Quite often, it seems out of some form of lazyness, the most basic/beginners questions show up, whereas a bit of DIY searching at forums will answer most if not all of them.
This can trigger some irritation, and leads to way more than necessary traffic.
Old 19th March 2012, 02:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
There is tons of information to be found on forums in general, not just at DIYaudio.
Quite often, it seems out of some form of lazyness, the most basic/beginners questions show up, whereas a bit of DIY searching at forums will answer most if not all of them.
This can trigger some irritation, and leads to way more than necessary traffic.
Im a beginner in many areas...and Ive searched through tons of this stuff.....

We need a beginners area. Trust me.

Hide this!Advertise here!