We need a new forum or two.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We need 2 new forum areas.

The first is a room dedicated to beginners where people who are new to DIYaudio or new to a certain aspect of DIYaudio could ask questions. It could also hold tutorials and write-ups for everyone to use as a lot of questions on this site are answered by linking to tutorials and write-up on another site.

The second room, and the one I feel the strongest about, is an acoustics room. So does Alan Parsons (Alan Parsons on audiophiles - Boing Boing). For years I have known that the room is more important then any of the gear you put in it. So many people are unaware, ignore or don't understand that the room your equipment in is part of your audio system. They need to know how to measure and improve their rooms accoustics. We need an area for projects, plans and discussion so we can bring our systems to the next level.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A Noob/Stupid Question section has been discussed by the moderation team. It's a good idea that may be coming sometime.

I'd also like to see an acoustics section, but fear it might get little traffic. Not many people are that interested, judging by the posts on this forum. We need a "Good acoustics and a nice Living-room are not mutually exclusive" thread. :)

Yes... an acoustical forum can be most helpful to " beginners"

I'm amazed at the blank stares I often get when I tell people (non audiophiles) that a large portion of what they hear is not comming from their speakers but, reflected.

Personally, I'm currently cursed whith a terrible acoustical enviourment which is a an "L' shaped room.

I agree one rooms, unlike a lot of USA houses, over here in the UK rooms are very small, low celing and almost square!!!!! I moved house and got a totaly different sound, my problem is WAF approved room treatment (currently listen at low levels at night, but miss the dynamics that pumping out a few more Db gives me.
Did suggest moving again (we rent), less than satisfactory responce from the spouse on that one.

Hello,
I did notice that more often beginners questions irritate some forum members. I am a beginner too and some of my questions were ignored. In this case openning beginner section would be great for all of us.

There is tons of information to be found on forums in general, not just at DIYaudio.
Quite often, it seems out of some form of lazyness, the most basic/beginners questions show up, whereas a bit of DIY searching at forums will answer most if not all of them.
This can trigger some irritation, and leads to way more than necessary traffic.

There is tons of information to be found on forums in general, not just at DIYaudio.
Quite often, it seems out of some form of lazyness, the most basic/beginners questions show up, whereas a bit of DIY searching at forums will answer most if not all of them.
This can trigger some irritation, and leads to way more than necessary traffic.

Im a beginner in many areas...and Ive searched through tons of this stuff.....

We need a beginners area. Trust me.

It is not always lazyness. This forum grew up into hudge database and find some direct answers is hard. Even if the answer is there it is embeded in high level discussion hard to understand for beginners. Often we need just direct answer to simple question. I know that internet has a lot of information, but I do not know that given info is correct or not. This forum is legitimate one with information which can be safely used.
Do not worry about traffic. That should not be your concern. No one forces you to answer the question.
Also, there are few DIYs, included myself, who are not really interested in high level circuit design. My goal is music and it is nice to build your own circuit. But, its design that is another level. I am 50 years old and electronics was my hobby a long time ago. Now, I do not have time to go back to books or school. What I enjoy is just building amps and preamps. I do not think asking question should be forbidden on the DIY forum?

It is not always lazyness. This forum grew up into hudge database and find some direct answers is hard. Even if the answer is there it is embeded in high level discussion hard to understand for beginners. Often we need just direct answer to simple question. I know that internet has a lot of information, but I do not know that given info is correct or not. This forum is legitimate one with information which can be safely used.
Do not worry about traffic. That should not be your concern. No one forces you to answer the question.
Also, there are few DIYs, included myself, who are not really interested in high level circuit design. My goal is music and it is nice to build your own circuit. But, its design that is another level. I am 50 years old and electronics was my hobby a long time ago. Now, I do not have time to go back to books or school. What I enjoy is just building amps and preamps. I do not think asking question should be forbidden on the DIY forum?

Well put TB

It is not always lazyness.........
....... I do not think asking question should be forbidden on the DIY forum?

I said "quite often, it seems...", not "always".
Of course asking questions on the forum is not forbidden, that is too much thinking in black/white.
Quite often however I see the same questions asked (for the x-th time) and think "man, do some searching first and easily find the answer yourself".

Last edited:
Often there is no simple and direct answer for the question. It happened many times that question is being used as a part of discussion, which goes on and on without answering it. That makes answer search really difficult. Simple yes or no answer or link to circuit schematic would answer the question and minimize amount of unecessary posts. Since the website is big now and electronics is popular we need another section just for all beginers. That would lessen the traffic and frustration of some forum members.
Even this discussion could be much shorter if we agree such a section should exist :D

Basically agree TB.
What I mean is the type of question for which a simple and direct answer is not difficult to find when doing some research on the www.
For example questions on voltage, current and impedance ratios for transformers (my field) show up here not quite but actually very often, and enough is to be found on the subject.
Other example: basic questions on tube electronics; look at a site like Tube CAD Journal and see how much can be learnt there (before asking).

Last edited:
Here is a great example of really unaswered question of mine. I know some members use this chip. Schematic with value of components would be great answer for me. I could not find it on this forum.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/180543-apex-pa16-chip-gainclone.html
Maybe posted the same question in beginers forum would have better answer....?

Looking at that thread my feeling is that you lack the knowledge to implement that chip, which, understand me well, is no shame.
Why then not choosing one of the well known chips (3886 a.s.o.) for which I'd say complete DIY textbooks are written on forums?

Just not to steer away from the main subject....... I have already used other chips. That would be another experiment. The chip would work with single drive speakers with impedance of 8 Ohms without crossover. I guess someone from the forum has already used that chip with success in similar configuration. I just need schematic. This is one of those questions when just a schematic would be great. I do not want to get that info for ...free. I can not advice on electronic side of the design , but I would love to share with forum members its sonic qualities, build details, and any info about the project.
So, someone would benefit from that info. Even if the information would be given by a noobie. I just need.... SCHEMATIC :)
I am not really interested in electronic side of the design. I have noticed I am not only one, who is only interested in build side of the project. This is what I mean by simple answer.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Beginners forums have several problems.

Firstly, the only people that will frequent them will be beginners, so you won't get any better, (and probably worse), answers than you do at the moment. Old hands will just ignore them for the more interesting discussions in the main fora. At least at the moment, experienced members are likely to stumble on newbie posts whilst general browsing and give valuable help.

Secondly, when do you stop being a beginner? How do you differentiate a question as to "newbieness"? Simple questions sometimes lead on to complex discussions, that are no longer suitable for a beginners forum. Should we then move them, or stop people discussing an interesting subject? If we have a separate sub forum for each of our existing ones, it would get far too split and complicated to supervise.

Thirdly, our noble leader and site owner, Jason, has said he likes mixed ability forums. ;)

However, I do like the idea of a Room Treatment/Acoustics forum. We've discussed it in the back room several times, but always put it on the back burner because of other more important stuff we had to get on with. Perhaps its time has come.

Agree that having a newbie forum probably won't work out.

Even with the comment someone made about the forum now being so big that search doesn't work very well, which I would agree with, why not just reinstitute the "Have you searched?" checkbox on new threads that the forum software used to have? I simply cannot understand why that was deleted.

About the comment that some get frustrated with newbie posts, I doubt most of that has anything to do with true technical questions. It's probably due to some newbie throwing out opinions about the forum along with questions. I have to admit that drives me crazy too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.