What's the worst audio you heard recently?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
crappy re-masters...

If you like Sade, do yourself a favour and stay away from the "Remastered 2000" versions. I recently bought 'Promise', and (sadly) it compares very unfavorably to the 1985 CD (Canadian release), which has been a treasured member of my collection for many years. Despite the advances in ADC technology over the last 15 years, the remastered version sounds terrible! As far as I can tell, it is nothing more than a re-EQ'd version of the previous release... the bass is bloated and muddy, and the treble is boosted too much, leading to a lack of definition in cymbals, and a fatiguing listening experience. What subtle nuance and transparency that existed on the '85 CD has been seriously degraded. Fortunately, Sade's vocals seem to have survived relatively well.

I was positively infuriated upon purchasing and listening to the remaster, hoping for a better rendition of one of my favorite albums. This is a sad statement of the direction the recording industry seems to be headed. With mp3's becoming the standard, and indiscriminate listeners with their boom-boxes taking over the primary market demographic, labels seem unwilling to spend any effort to make the best recording they can, instead pandering to the deaf masses' conception of good sound. I fear we are in for a lengthy period of taking big steps backward in the quality of available recordings. I will be staying away from the rest of the Sade remasters. Hopefully we'll get some of the Sade classics on SACD or DVD-A soon, and if we're extra-lucky they'll be properly done.

Hopefully we'll get some of the Sade classics on SACD or DVD-A soon, and if we're extra-lucky they'll be properly done.

Then again, don't hold your breath on them being properly done.
When I first bought my SACD player, my wife wanted the disc "Drops of jupiter" by train. We had a copy of the disc, and I always thought it sounded muddy and overcompressed. I was curious whether the SACD would have the same problems. In a word- "yes!".
The biggest problem these days isn't the lack of good equipment. It's the total lack of good taste in mixing and mastering! I would like to destroy some of the compressors these guys are using! Talk about taking the life out of a recording!
The SACD version did have a more natural presence to the vocal, but there was still a lot missing overall that I could only blame on the production. They must have thought it sounded pretty good because the next cd sounds like a re-make of it with renamed tracks. I guess if it sells, keep using the same formula, right? :rolleyes:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, I bought a copy of the "Who's Next" CD in the used bin. It was one of the first LP's I'd ever bought but gone now. I paid a high price because it was a Deluxe Edition with some outtakes and all the album songs remastered. I remembered that the original album wasn't that great sonically so I was really excited to hear the remastered version.

WELL, It sounded exactly like the original recording- pretty weak
and I just pulled it out of my collection to give you guys the details of the package and tell you not to bother, and discovered that like an idiot, I was listening to the original tracks not the remastered ones . They had included both on the 2 CD's.
I've just disassembled my rig to put it in another room, so I can't listen to the remastered tracks , but this thread has really helped me! :rolleyes: I'll report on the quality when I can hear it again on my good system.

Beverly Hills Cop 2 on A&E

Mushy sounding, like an overplayed cassette. It seems that when a TV network broadcasts an "old" film, they are using videotape that is just as dated. Why can't a network broadcast the DVD version. They are paying for the broadcast rights, why not use good image and sound quality.

:)ensen.

Quality control, lack there of...

I think an old film would likely be broadcast from Beta-SP analogue transfers of feature films. The machines are dirt cheap (broadcast wise) and the studios are more than happy to take their old tele-cine transfers off the shelf and make a little more money with them.

The problem with Beta-SP has to do with the linear audio tracks. If the machines audio head stack is not very clean the tape will be forced off path and the audio gets crappy real fast. To make matters worse, the linear tracks are Dolby encoded and the misstracking causes the expanders to pump, adding yet more mud to the sound.

It usually only takes a quick wipe of the head with some denatured alcohol to prevent the problem.

That is of course if I guessed write about Beta-SP.

Whoever it was that broadcast this film needs to have some better quality control within their operations. Films should be checked when received from the studios, and the guy who actually puts it on the air needs to be paying attention and know what it is he’s doing. Unfortunately these little things cost money that broadcasters don’t like spending, there also seems to be the continued opinion amongst many broadcasters that the sound is just noise that goes along with the picture.

Re: Beverly Hills Cop 2 on A&E

purplepeople said:
Mushy sounding, like an overplayed cassette. It seems that when a TV network broadcasts an "old" film, they are using videotape that is just as dated. Why can't a network broadcast the DVD version. They are paying for the broadcast rights, why not use good image and sound quality.

Maybe because they (DVD's) aren't edited for TV?

horrible CD

Here's one: "The eve of the war, 16 spectacular synthesizer hits' played by Star Inc.

Has no debt, no dynamic range, has virtually nothing.

And then: I've found a CD which was available around the same time which was soundwise very good (spacious sound, full dynamic range) "Synthesizer Greatest" (seemed to feature tracks from various artists) but has been filled by the same Star Inc....

:bigeyes:

Re: horrible CD

dutch diy said:
Here's one: "The eve of the war, 16 spectacular synthesizer hits' played by Star Inc.

Has no debt, no dynamic range, has virtually nothing.

And then: I've found a CD which was available around the same time which was soundwise very good (spacious sound, full dynamic range) "Synthesizer Greatest" (seemed to feature tracks from various artists) but has been filled by the same Star Inc....

:bigeyes:

Hi,

That is very mysterious because Star Inc. [Ed Starink, www.starink-world.net] used the same versions on his own compilations and on the compilations for Arcade [Synthesizer Greatest]. I have some of them therefore I can compare them.

Janosz

purplepeople said:
I heard the worst PA system ever last month at a local restaurant - typical house band set-up with a single powered mixer running both the FOH and the monitors. Smiley face EQ on the unit so bad that I could not only hear it (or not hear the vocals) but see it on the EQ controls. Monitors set too low for the bass and keyboard players and too loud for the guitar and lead singer.

Just started another thread on bad sounding setups Ive heard. This thread seemed like it was more for recordings... but yea bad audio is bad audio, be it a bad recording thru a good system, or a good recording thru a bad system, or worse, a bad recording thru a bad system.

I cant think of the worst sounding CD that I have got, but one that I have heard was the spice girls spiceworld me dad got for his sister. I put this on and was like oh yuk.

The worst recorded track that I have got is on Christina Aguilera's stripped album. Underappreciated. Everything about the track is fine appart from the voice, some stupid jerk who mastered this track either added some nasty trebble artifacts to her voice or compressed it, which is strange cause its not on anything else in the track not even the background vocals. This is a shame as its one of the best tracks on the album.

I think ill send an email to the company asking if they can send me the mastermix without the compression lol and see where it gets me!

man...whoever it was that made the comment about dvd s being crap sound....man u gotta watch HERO...the chinese film....on surround....
i saw it on a proper surround system...nearly ****ed my pants...it was amazing.......remember the fight scene with the old guy playing...music....the rain drops make the hair on the back stand.....exiting stuff.....oh well ill let u guys keep on with ur complainin!!!;)

Every summer there is a big fireworks competition in the harbour. This year, teams from China, Sweden and Spain have entered.

Each fireworks sequence is very well choreographed and is supposed to be synchronized to music that is also simulcast by a local FM station. As expected the visual display is fantastic and the timing for music is also very well done.

But, as you might predict, the music is usually recorded poorly, even though most of the material is available on CD. The worst offender so far... Sweden. Sounds like they played a cassette that was made by copying from another cassette... and worse my system amplified every available hiss, click and pop. I expected bad, but I didn't expect it to be that bad.

Maybe I should add a compressor for just this kind of situation!

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
i have noticed realy bad sound on "ghost busters" movie last couple of times on tv
it sounded like someone run audio through autolevel recording
when signal level was low, you could hear noise coming up, then sudenly spoken word too loud, so automatic overmodulated it, then decreasing the level, noise out
another silent pasage and noise pumping up again
disgusting sound
funny movie, but i could not stand watching it

Re: Re: horrible CD

jankuc said:

Hi,

That is very mysterious because Star Inc. [Ed Starink, www.starink-world.net] used the same versions on his own compilations and on the compilations for Arcade [Synthesizer Greatest]. I have some of them therefore I can compare them.

Janosz

Hoi,

maybe the Star Inc. album "The Eve Of The War" is Audio and the "Synthesizer Greatest" albums are Digitally.

nice info

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.