What's the worst audio you heard recently?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Drumline thumped

I just saw the DVD "Drumline" and the audio is so compressed that the volume changes during the "battle of the bands" sequence. I saw it on an airplane about 6 months ago and thought I would rent it to really hear the beauty of the drums, but no... either the mastering for DVD was poor or the duplicators switched on the limiters. Fun movie, horrible sound.

:)ensen.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
In trying to re-capture my youth, I started buying the CD version of my old LPs and I found CD with this label to be of poor quality.

Attachments

• bad_cds_01.jpg
    bad_cds_01.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,080
The DVD of The Fast & The Furious, I bought it when it came out because I'm into imports and wanted to hear those cars in all there glory. However the audio was so lifeless, no matter how loud I turned it up, it just got to the point that it was loud, but not encompassing. It seemed very compressed, and almost mono. Days Of Thunder is still my most favorite "engines in your face" movie...and its like 15 years old!

Also the thing about compilations is true as far as I have experienced. I have Polar Shift: A Benefit for Antarctica and it has some very good music, but the songs that I have the actual recording of are better than on the compilation, especially the Vangelis: Antartica songs. Although Vangelis: Themes which is released by Polydor is of great quality.

I experienced the same with many of these "Greatest hits of the 80's" and stuff.

I guess if its a compilation made by a 3rd party it usually doesn't sound good, but if its from the original company or someone like Mobile Fidelity they benefit from using the master copy.

I also have the boxed set of Pink Floyd, however I usually don't listen to those, since I have most of the others on original cd's. But I wouldn't be suprised if they were of lesser quality, as I'm not sure who published it.

My way...

That's the worst audio recording I have in my collection. It's so bad, that it's actually really good. "Sid Sings"

I dont think I'll ever goon record with an opinion as to weather making it so very bad that it became great was coincidence or genius. Either way, that was Sid. I love his rendition of "MY Way".

I'm still very disturbed from the experience, ten years later, after watching "Sid and Nancy." "Boring Sidney, really... Boring"

Perry Ferral’s, “The Gift” was a similar experience, except he doesn’t (hasn’t) OD at the end (yet).

Home video distress

I’m not surprised to see a few people voicing disappointment in the audio quality of DVD releases.

I went to an AES panel discussion on the subject of multi-channel mix for film a few years ago. Five experts on the panel, four I recall Academy Award winners.

A film mix can take a few months to prepare. ADR, effects editing usually taking place simultaneously and independently of the music score and mix. The music is almost always delivered as a stereo mix.

The actual time spent on the mix very wildly depending on what the producer and director are looking for. A week for a 90 minute feature is what I recall as typical, after all of the other elements have been prepped.

The horrifying part is what happens next. The producer, director, composer, sound designer and mixers all go home. The day after the theatrical release(es) are done and signed off on, the kid who was assisting the guy's who did the main mix is given about 8 hours to remix the feature to his own taste for all of the home video formats that the picture will be released on. All those high price creative guys typically never hear what has happened to their work. Of course there are exceptions to this scenario, but it would seam that more often than not, this is the case.

perhaps it's not the worst audio i've heard, but i always frown inside when i listen to the Roxy Music Avalon cd. all those great melodies and bryan ferry's vocals, sound like they are being played underwater.

maybe i just have a bad copy? is there a remaster available out there?

'more than this' indeed.

/andrew

I have several classical music CDs featuring piano music that sound bad. The piece that sticks in my mind most is Beetoven's Fur Elise, though I can't remember the pianist, recording studio, or Cd label. Despite the CD pamphlet stating a concert grand piano was used, the piano sounds extremely synthesized. And I first noticed it on a 100USD boombox when I was 16 (9 years ago).

Was the Bad Boys a full-screen or wide-screen version?

I now have a theory that full-screen versions have compression while wide-screen DVD do not as the typical audience for the first have consumer systems and the wide-screen aficionados tend to have full HT set-ups. Case in point - the Drumline DVD was full-screen.

:)ensen.

I heard the worst PA system ever last month at a local restaurant - typical house band set-up with a single powered mixer running both the FOH and the monitors. Smiley face EQ on the unit so bad that I could not only hear it (or not hear the vocals) but see it on the EQ controls. Monitors set too low for the bass and keyboard players and too loud for the guitar and lead singer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.