"24/192 Music downloads, and why they make no sense" - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2012, 08:02 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

Dan Larvy (from Larvy Engineering) published in 2004 an article that concludes that 192kHz (as opposed to 88.1 or 96kHz) is useless. All the above considerations (including the impulse response) are covered.
I agree with his conclusion... not that matters anyway

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 8th March 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:47 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
...that there is a huge difference between 16/44.1 and 24/192.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzygies View Post
24, 96 is about 3.3x the information content per second of 16, 44.1.
Pay attention, Syzy.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:55 PM   #113
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter culture View Post
How you expect to be taken seriously with posts like this is beyond me, a.wayne....and how the rest of you expect to be taken seriously.
Quote:
With the exception of abraxalito who I know cherishes no hope of being taken seriously.
Quote:
Pay attention, Syzy.
Old 8th March 2012, 09:00 PM   #114
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
Dan Larvy (from Larvy Engineering) published in 2004 an article that concludes that 192kHz (as opposed to 88.1 or 96kHz) is useless. All the above considerations (including the impulse response) are covered.
I agree with his conclusion... not that matters anyway
Interesting read Sonic ..have you listened .... ?
Old 8th March 2012, 09:23 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Interesting read Sonic ..have you listened .... ?
I think it's been written that the masters are different.
Old 8th March 2012, 09:47 PM   #116
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
I think it's been written that the masters are different.
Yes, this was talked about in the Meyer/Moran paper. That's one reason they added in an extra D/A -> A/D step.
Old 8th March 2012, 10:14 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
So lets assume then that we need the timing to allow for less than 5 degrees of phase shift at 20 Khz. ...
Read very carefully: 5 degrees of phase shift of a 20 KHz signal (or 5 microseconds of delay) will be accurately recorded and reproduced through a competently designed 44.1 KHz A-D-A chain. Feel free to disagree, but understand that your argument is with Nyquist, not with me.
Old 9th March 2012, 01:04 AM   #118
FrankWW is online now FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
>So lets assume then that we need the timing to allow for less than 5 degrees of phase shift at 20 Khz.

>>>Thats the same as moving an ear (1/20 ft * 5/360) about 1/1200 of an inch. Do you listen to music with your head in a clamp?

Earphones are a problem if there's phase shift. Your head is in a perceptual clamp. Small phase shifts at high frequencies can affect perception of timbre of instruments with high energy, high frequency harmonics such as trumpets and cymbals, even listening with speakers.

Quote:
>... The human ear can register rises and falls at a rate of 5.8 microseconds per dB. ...

>>>Show me some music with those kinds of rise times.

Cymbal crash rise time is @ 1millisecond. That's a pretty good rate of rise/dB

This is interesting They found @ 20 microsecs - I'm sure there are other similar, later papers out there. Kunchur, I believe, saw about 7 in his work but there's some objection cuz he's an astronomer or something like that, but his bibliography is good.

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...crVJeg&cad=rja

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th March 2012, 03:08 AM   #119
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
The Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem states that perfect reconstruction of a signal is possible when the sampling frequency is greater than twice the maximum frequency of the signal being sampled, or equivalently, when the Nyquist frequency (half the sample rate) exceeds the highest frequency of the signal being sampled.
Rarely are the conditions required satisfied in practice, Nyquist?Shannon sampling theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When i read the Sony CD white paper in 1980 i happened to be taking a grad level sampling course. My 1st comment was that they would need to increase sampling by 8 times before it would be indisguishable from analog. This was further reinforced by a question i had wrt digital scopes. The scope jockies said, to paraphrase, that they wouldn't trust a scope that didn't have sampling 5-10x higher than strictly necessary.

dave
Old 9th March 2012, 03:16 AM   #120
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
I would rather see higher sample rates at 16 bit than more of the totally foolish 24/44 Beatles releases
+1

Hide this!Advertise here!