"24/192 Music downloads, and why they make no sense"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A says "X is true and here's the proof"
B says "your data is incomplete"
C thinks "so X is not true" when in fact he/she should think "so we really don't know".

Actually most of the times it doesn't matter that missing data, it does not change the practical result. So "A" is right, even if is misses a minute amount of data.
In science we need to learn how to use the relevant data for the practical purpose we seek. Nobody will have ALL the data about something.
I agree completely.
but having 99% of the problem right is better than 90%.
some of the points of people advocating hires simply reveal lack of understanding. I've seen the argument of how a 19kHz waveform at the output of a NOS filterless DAC looks like being used a few times.
at the same time I have my own - I dare to say more subtle - doubts.
though there is a "je ne sais quoi" which makes me refrain from going into the detail here and now. maybe it's the fact that I'll likely be opposed by a minority of the scientist's camp that says "Shannon/Nyquist are right" without first trying to make sure all the conditions for using it are met.
since I'm not exactly a math guy I'm not sure a have a good enough grasp on this either.

Well, lookee here.

I have NEVER heard a "redbook" playback that was anywhere near as good as a live feed.

So, if the argument is if something is better than redbook or indestinguishable from it, the best question to be asking is if it is equal to the LIVE FEED or not!

Isn't that a big part of the "quest"? To equal live?

Just throwing this chum into the shark infested waters...

_-_-bear

Problem is, by the time you get to hear something made to Redbook spec, the music has gone through the engineering/mastering process, and you can count on massive dynamic range compromises, brutal EQ, and distortion boxes. Someone on this forum (can't remember who) made a terrifically insightful comment: The CD medium is great, it's the CDs that suck.

Apples.

Oranges.

Gee,

And here I though he really understood the localization issue.

But if you prefer Manfred Schroeder at Bell Labs did a series of experiment with computer generated waveforms to see how much phase shift could be detected. Using waveforms with the same absolute amplitude the result seemed to be 5 degrees at 20 Khz.

Rupert Neve has mentioned while designing a mixer one channel seemed a slight bit different than the others. On investigation it turned out there was about a 5 degree phase difference at 20 Khz. Fixing that solved the issue.

So lets assume then that we need the timing to allow for less than 5 degrees of phase shift at 20 Khz.

ES

So lets assume then that we need the timing to allow for less than 5 degrees of phase shift at 20 Khz.

Thats the same as moving an ear (1/20 ft * 5/360) about 1/1200 of an inch. Do you listen to music with your head in a clamp?

... The human ear can register rises and falls at a rate of 5.8 microseconds per dB. ...

Show me some music with those kinds of rise times.

So lets assume then that we need the timing to allow for less than 5 degrees of phase shift at 20 Khz. ...

Read very carefully: 5 degrees of phase shift of a 20 KHz signal (or 5 microseconds of delay) will be accurately recorded and reproduced through a competently designed 44.1 KHz A-D-A chain. Feel free to disagree, but understand that your argument is with Nyquist, not with me.

Quote:
>So lets assume then that we need the timing to allow for less than 5 degrees of phase shift at 20 Khz.

>>>Thats the same as moving an ear (1/20 ft * 5/360) about 1/1200 of an inch. Do you listen to music with your head in a clamp?

Earphones are a problem if there's phase shift. Your head is in a perceptual clamp. Small phase shifts at high frequencies can affect perception of timbre of instruments with high energy, high frequency harmonics such as trumpets and cymbals, even listening with speakers.

Quote:
>... The human ear can register rises and falls at a rate of 5.8 microseconds per dB. ...

>>>Show me some music with those kinds of rise times.

Cymbal crash rise time is @ 1millisecond. That's a pretty good rate of rise/dB

This is interesting They found @ 20 microsecs - I'm sure there are other similar, later papers out there. Kunchur, I believe, saw about 7 in his work but there's some objection cuz he's an astronomer or something like that, but his bibliography is good.

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:...sg=AFQjCNGAizFYy6MLJaIUykxfKYkpcrVJeg&cad=rja

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem states that perfect reconstruction of a signal is possible when the sampling frequency is greater than twice the maximum frequency of the signal being sampled, or equivalently, when the Nyquist frequency (half the sample rate) exceeds the highest frequency of the signal being sampled.

Rarely are the conditions required satisfied in practice, Nyquist?Shannon sampling theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When i read the Sony CD white paper in 1980 i happened to be taking a grad level sampling course. My 1st comment was that they would need to increase sampling by 8 times before it would be indisguishable from analog. This was further reinforced by a question i had wrt digital scopes. The scope jockies said, to paraphrase, that they wouldn't trust a scope that didn't have sampling 5-10x higher than strictly necessary.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.