(Elector) New speaker material increases 'back [enclosure] volume'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was listening today at one of the latest android cell phones , and the ringing tone - the classic 'DRIIIIIIIN !' - was very powerful , fine and detailed ;)
Indeed , I was using a 3/4" multimedia speaker - found in a LCD monitor - with a waveguide as a tweeter .It's rated at 2W/4Ω .
If someone's looking for cheap & powerful tweeters , this is it :)

I use memory foam since 2006 when I first saw mattresses. They were pretty expensive, but I found factory rejects on epay. I don't know how this fancy patented materials are better, though...

The description of operation on the site is useless.

If one wished to increase the apparent size of the enclosure, slow down the propagation velocity of the sound. That appears to be what they did.

jn

Frictional losses would help too, by turning sound into heat. At the lowest frequencies any packing will help 'expand' the enclosure volume by making things nearer to isothermal rather than adiabatic.

Agreed. Unfortunately at bass frequencies it becomes very difficult.

IIRC, Abraham B Cohen spoke about it at length.

As I also recall, the old JBL cabs used a lens assembly on the mid/tweeter horn assembly to force a wider horizontal dispersion. It used multiple metal vanes corrugated, with the smaller depth at the center of the horn, moreso on the sides. The result was claimed by JBL to slow down the prop velocity on the sides more than the middle, which resulted in a more spherical waveform.

Microwave engs did the exact same thing for lensing as well, I recall larnin that back in '74.

Cheers, jn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.