Help!--my icons are freaking out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I find that the icons on my desktop , like bmp , gif , folders , etc
change after some time. When I start up they are correct. After say over half and hour when I look at them they have changed.
Say for example some folders ( plain yellow) now have a blue '*' inside them. The bmp files have changed from the mug and paintbrushes to say a printer with a rainbow background. The change is not always the same.
What is happening ? Is this due to a virus? Any impending crash to be expected ?
Thanks for any help.

Hi!

This is a known MS bug, has something to do with memory managment. Happens a lot with Win98, Win98 SE and Win ME, but other MS OSses are not free from the bug, as well...

You can download TweakUI from Microsoft (search their site for TweakUI), install it (unpack to a folder, right click on the ".inf" file and chose "Install").

Now you have a new Icon under System Properties, called TweakUI. Open it, and select the tab "Repair". There you find an option "Rebuild Icons". Chosing that should repair the icons for you.

Hope that helped,

Arndt

Hi John,
The file associatin does not seem to change. Paint opens .bmp as usual. Operationally there seems to be no problem. My OS is Win98SE.
Arndt , you may be right about the memory management. Someone from here told me the same thing. If John does not have any other suggestion I will try out yours.
Thanks to both of you.
Cheers.
Ashok.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.