Love this lamp, where to get a bulb like this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is amazing what Home Depot or a well stocked hardware store will have. Decorative bulbs are popular, and if they don;t have what you want, visit a lighting store. I never thought of porcelain lamp sockets as hard to find. If you are googling, try porcelain rather than ceramic.

lg_lamp3.jpg

Anyone know where to get a bulb like this? This is a "designer" lamp that costs $200, but I want to make one!

Antique Thomas Edison Light Bulbs for Vintage Lamps - Flickering Light Bulbs is similar if less sloppy.

P

My version of "Mad Scientist" light

I bought similar bulbs at the local Lowes. They look really nice when dimmed and will probably last a very long time.

About a year ago I built two of these lights, not sure of the cost but probably about $25-30 a piece in parts:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The clear disks are those "protector disks" from bulk packages of recordable CDs. These were found in a dumpster at a printing shop and inspired the design.

A custom circular PCB in the base holds a series string of 11 ultraviolet LEDs in the base, powered by a 0.47 uF X-class capacitor ballast and bridge rectifier off the AC line. In real-life the light is more violet-colored and activates fluorescent materials.

Steel conduit and a low-profile fixture box forms the center post and bottom for the ceramic socket. The ceramic socket is dimmable by a dissected and slimmed-down $6 Lutron rotary dimmer in the base enclosure. The base enclosure is made from a 1.5 inch long piece of 4 in. sch. 40 PVC pipe.

The spacers between the disks are made from 3/4 inch sch. 40 PVC pipe, painted matte black.

The wood base is finished oak.

The power cords (not visible) are made from twisted 16 AWG hookup wire and have old-looking rubber aftermarket plugs for a vintage look. I was going to buy wire with a cloth covering but it cost $1.40 per foot and didn't feel like waiting and paying as much in shipping as for the wire itself. So 14 cent/ft PVC insulated hookup wire twisted and it looks pretty good. Of course there is a 2 A fuse stuffed in there as well.

Attachments

• GEDC0023.jpg
    GEDC0023.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 209
  • GEDC0014.jpg
    GEDC0014.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 128
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.