Odd audio wiring info needed, please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi-I am new to the board and stumbled across it while doing research. I have a odd story to tell and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Quick rundown-I operate a paranormal investigation group who was recently contacted by an eldly gentleman because he is hearing sounds throughout his home. We know it has nothing to do with anything paranormal, but he is hearing (and recording TV programs and phone conversations).

I went to visit the gentleman and learned that about 2 yrs ago, a cable company had come in and did an install. Every since he has been getting sounds on a regular basis. Cable company (and 2 others) have been called and eventually told to remove equipment, but the sounds persist.

It is a fairly good size house and I discovered an intercom system running through the home. The gentleman has pulled the control box and transformers from the system, but the wires are still run to the speakers through the attic.

I believe the problem is that the cable company either connected or disconnected something that is allowing the speaker wire to act as an antenna and producing sound through the intercom system. The homes in the area are very close to each other.

We actually heard part of a phone conversation while we were there and he hours or recording of conversations and even 15 minutes of a Jeapody episode.

Ok-I am no expert, nor am I built for crawling through attics. My plan at this point is to pull the speakers down and disconnect the wires and then tale the wire ends and the speaker terminals. But I'm not confident this will work.

I would like to help the gentleman. He has called 3 cable companies, alarm companies, the power company and even gone to have his hearing checked twice. Everyone gladly took his money for service calls and new installation, but never addressed his problem.

If anyone has a suggestion, I am all ears. Thank you for your time.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This sounds like RFI (radio frequency interference) - I have a similar, but less severe problem with my home theater system and the tube power amplifiers in my stereo system. The tube amps have to be on for there to be a problem, but the HT gear does not.

I would start by disconnecting all of the speakers in the system and wire nutting the wires, although they are supposedly disconnected at the other end. You don't need to tape the speaker terminals - there are no hazardous voltages present. Be very careful to avoid any power wiring, and make sure it is properly insulated and ends in a metal junction box if you can't. Any doubt consult a licensed electrician..

Thank you for the info. My plan at this point is to cap off the wires coming to the speakers (speaker wire). Looking at the speakers, I doubt there is power run to them individually. If it gets too complicated, rest assured I will be recommending a call to an electrician.

Once again thank you response.

Well, the things the customer is hearing(and recording) are phone conversations, tv programs and radio. Also, there is a heavy white noise sound on the recordings in certain rooms near the speakers.

Once we eliminate the speakers and wiring as a possible cause, then we may look at a paranormal option if the problem continues, but since this did not start until the cable company came and went into the attic to their install, I believe there is a simple solution. Also, the sound started almost to the day the cable was installed.

Our group operates by removing any possible option to strange happenings before we begin to look at paranormal causes. Now, that is not to say, I am not hoping to find the ghost of Elvis in his attic ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.