Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2002, 02:32 AM   #1
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Friendly??

Is this "friendly" in red gonna stay up for much longer?
Whose idea was it?
What about the 10min editing limit?
With all these rules, regulations, moderators slapping each other's *** for the job well done...I am starting to get a 'summer camp' feeling about this site.
Old 24th January 2002, 02:43 AM   #2
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah!
Old 24th January 2002, 03:01 AM   #3
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Hi Grataku,

It was my idea.

No its not going to stay and neither is my present stupid title, its a light hearted joke and a way for me to laugh at myself.

The editing limit will be set to whatever you guys want it to be set.

This site will be whatever you want it to be. Ask and you shall recieve, dude.
Old 24th January 2002, 03:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Grataku,
You've been around long enough that you remember the "good old days" where anything went. Yeah, the golden days of yore. We'll dodder around on our canes and talk about the way things used to be. All these young whipper-snappers acting like they own the place! Huh! Why back in '00 when this place started off, you could pitch your tent anywhere you wanted. Now they went and built a McDonalds right where I used to stand naked and bark at the moon.
But a funny thing happened, man.
People showed up. Lots and lots of them. There are as many people logged on tonight--right this singular minute--as we used to have total membership. When you get that many people barking, it gets kinda raucous. Not to mention the problems with where to put all the clothing that people dropped when they saw the moon.
Someone will doubtless correct me on the particulars, but the first car wreck on record occurred in Chicago(?) between the only two cars in town. There were no traffic laws and both drivers simply assumed that they had the right-of-way. Crunch. Doesn't take many incidents like that before someone says, okay that side of the street is yours, and this side's mine, so as not to have another wreck. Being kinda a bend-the-rules guy myself, it chafes to have to stick to one side of the street. But we've got to figure out some way to keep people from stepping on too many toes. (Yes, I know I'm mangling metaphors. I hereby invoke poetic license.) Some of it's bound to happen anyway, but the idea is to keep it to a minimum.
The "friendly" thing? Gallows humor. We've got to laugh to keep from crying. If you lose your sense of humor, the bad guy won. If you weren't here the other night...be glad. It wasn't pretty.
If you've got any constructive ideas, we'd love to hear 'em.

Grey
Old 24th January 2002, 04:19 AM   #5
griff is offline griff  Australia
diyAudio Member

couple site suggestions

you could offer up some webspace for individuals to post their respective DIY projects for those who can afford the effort.

you could incorperate a chat function into the site, a real-time help almost, when ever i am on i see that audiofreak, super are on, and i know that they can help with any of my problems, it would be much easier and faster if a simple chat code could be put into place.

a review forum?

a music forum? we must remember the reason we are all here.

If you ever need help with web design, graphic design, i have some expertise, just give me a yell, i would be really interested in trying out a new logo, is there anywhere i can email a couple of attempts?

Once a member hits 200 posts, they should attain their own profile section, describing projects, kit, musical taste, etc, it would only take a few hundred kilobytes per member, and would allow new members to decern who is trying to achieve similar goals to them, and see what kit gets their job done, a 2watt A class amp is useless for someone into limp bizkit and linkin park, u know where im heading.
Old 24th January 2002, 04:28 AM   #6
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

private messaging is available as part of this board... all Jason has to do is enable it.... it will however no doubt increase traffic etc.....

Also, Jason ... whats with the monkeys? i know it's all a joke but come on :P
Old 24th January 2002, 04:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Administrator

Thanks Griff for your constructive comments! Please email any logo suggestions to me at jason@diyaudio.com, that would be great. I am not a graphic designer, but pretty proud of my attempt nonetheless Send 'em in!

Plans for future (next month or so)

- <a href="http://tavi.sourceforge.net/WikkiTikkiTavi">Wikki</a> to create a FAQ, standard articles etc, editable by elders.

- User upload space where people can easily upload their projects, documents, etc. Web space isn't really a problem at all.

- Much improved links system

I am happy to open new forums but in my experience (I have been involved in running forums on and off for 5 years now, this is my neglected baby though) it's better to have a little chaos and cross pollentation that to have too much order and dead areas. The 'Everything Else' forum is a mess I agree, and I welcome suggestions for ways to fix it. We can have subforums too.

AF: You will just have to put up with my inane humour for the next day or so till I get it out of my system. I am accept that I am in denial that my attempts at humour make the odd person laugh.
Old 24th January 2002, 04:38 AM   #8
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Just changed ur undies did ya Jason :P
Old 24th January 2002, 04:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Administrator

AF: Please keep private in jokes with me to email or just cut and paste to the forum so everyone knows what is going on (AF was referring to me saying the other day that I planned on changing my title like changing underpants, but without knowing that information I imagine most people would not...really...understand what he was talking about)

I refuse to take myself seriously!
Old 24th January 2002, 04:45 AM   #10
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

I was gonna say that in my next reply.

I agree, whats the point if we cant get a good laugh out of it

Hide this!Advertise here!