How long should the time limit be on editing posts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Why The Ten Minute Limit On Editing Posts?

Hey, I can make a mistake just like everyone else. Now, I have only 10 minutes to correct it. Why?

I hope this forum has not become so confrontational that it wants to provide "evidence" of what someone originally posted so he cannot back off later. This forum is supposed to be about helping and informing each other-not refereeing flame wars! :D :D

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi KW,

The edit timeout is a way of locking in people's messages so when someone replies, they know what they are replying to.

If down the line someone decides to radically change what they have said, people who have spent their energy replying to what they saw in the first place are going to feel a bit upset, or indeed their posts won't make sense when people read the thread as it sits.

It's not at all about providing evidence. There isn't going to be any more flame wars, remember :)

10 minutes was chosen as an abitrary figure, it should be set to whatever you think is reasonable.

What do you think it should be set to, everyone?

I'll let this thread sit for a week and see what the concensus is.

I'm probably about the only person around here who writes posts that take as long as ten minutes to read...
Give everybody else ten and give me fifteen.
<i>Ahem.</i>
Ten's fine by me. If I'm so stupid I can't get something straight by then, I'll stick in another post that says This Is What I Really Meant To Say, and go sailing off on another novelette. Any excuse will do.

Grey

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I personally reckon half an hour is ok. I frequently spend the next 15 minutes after a posts re-editing, because I have admin rights it never annoys me (ignorance is bliss). I would rather see well rounded posts if that means occaisionally someone changes something so much that the replies don't make sense...

The main thing was to stop post deletion, anyway.

If there are extra final edits to be made then I am going to cop them anyway as email requests so it's in my self-interests to let people be satisfied with their posts.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Like Remp, I check over my posts and I still see mistakes after I post them.

One thing I don't like is that as soon as you move away from the post screen, yoou lose the post. If I have two or three things to look up in the forum or on the web, I cannot memorize them all.

Yes, I can put it in Wordpad but that tends to be a bother.

I have gotten the math wrong and changed it before anyone else posted, happily.

I just don't see the need to "lock in" the post, simply because I don't see why anyone would want to RADICALLY change his post in the first place. The only reason I can see for that is if there is some kind of confrontation, the kind that isn't going to happen here.

It is not that big of a thing, but I had developed the method of posting something knowing that it needed one more quote, then editing it in a few minutes later. I vote for the honor system-leave it open indefinitely.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Well the votes are in.
No time limit - 1
10 minutes - 4
30 minutes - 4

I would like to err on the conservative side so 30 minutes it is.

Thank you to everyone who contributed.

I'll be posting a survey soon to get some further feedback about ways to <i>improve</i> the site.

30 mins will be fine for me. If some should post questions and dramatically change it, then limit that someone to 5 or 10 mins. If some keeps removing his post after everyone interested answer the posting, then that person might be limited to 0 sec. I think this way will be good to practice discipline. Those matured should have freedom they deserve so that threads will flow freely. Those inmatured or babes can have some sort of restrictions so that they might learn and practise self-control.
Freedom without maturity is devastating.

Just my opinion.

I don't think the negative view is quite so correct. I did not chime in since I really didn't have an opinion - the time limit of 10 vs. 30 was not such a big deal. Given that, a "me too" post would have been a waste of bandwidth.

Secondly, I really think the 90%(or more) rule of radio call in applies here too. The vast majority are gonna lurk until something really bugs them. Thats OK - they are self censoring until they have something worth saying or asking. Given that they are unlikely to make many posts, the time limit issue is just not one that affect them. However, many of the "majority" posters did comment - and their opinion counts a little more anyway (IMHO).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.