diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   How long should the time limit be on editing posts? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/2063-how-long-should-time-limit-editing-posts.html)

kelticwizard 24th January 2002 01:03 AM

Why The Ten Minute Limit On Editing Posts?

Hey, I can make a mistake just like everyone else. Now, I have only 10 minutes to correct it. Why?

I hope this forum has not become so confrontational that it wants to provide "evidence" of what someone originally posted so he cannot back off later. This forum is supposed to be about helping and informing each other-not refereeing flame wars! :D :D

Jason 24th January 2002 01:38 AM

Hi KW,

The edit timeout is a way of locking in people's messages so when someone replies, they know what they are replying to.

If down the line someone decides to radically change what they have said, people who have spent their energy replying to what they saw in the first place are going to feel a bit upset, or indeed their posts won't make sense when people read the thread as it sits.

It's not at all about providing evidence. There isn't going to be any more flame wars, remember :)

10 minutes was chosen as an abitrary figure, it should be set to whatever you think is reasonable.

What do you think it should be set to, everyone?

I'll let this thread sit for a week and see what the concensus is.

paulb 24th January 2002 01:47 AM

10 minutes is okay by me, although I can see where it could be too short for others. Say 10 as a minimum.

AudioFreak 24th January 2002 02:01 AM

As long as we cant delete the post, I personally feel 30mins would be better as it usually takes me longer than 10mins to pick up mistakes etc....

Geoff 24th January 2002 02:19 AM

10 mins is fine. A change of mind, or a correction, can always be indicated in a subsequent post.

remp 24th January 2002 02:35 AM

I agree with audiofreak. 30 minutes seems a good time.
I find it hard to write up a post on line anyway so I do it in notepad. Paste it into the post reply section and its done.

Super 24th January 2002 02:41 AM

I agree. 30 minutes gives me enough time to run an errand, come back to check the forums, and recognize a whoopsie.

By the way Jason, love the new banner design ;)

Geoff 24th January 2002 02:44 AM

Richard

In which case you have time to review that which you have written before it is posted, so you should not need additional time afterwards.

Geoff

blmn 24th January 2002 03:21 AM

I'm with Geoff. Ten minutes is enough.

GRollins 24th January 2002 03:31 AM

I'm probably about the only person around here who writes posts that take as long as ten minutes to read...
Give everybody else ten and give me fifteen.
<i>Ahem.</i>
Ten's fine by me. If I'm so stupid I can't get something straight by then, I'll stick in another post that says This Is What I Really Meant To Say, and go sailing off on another novelette. Any excuse will do.

Grey