Balance problem - room layout??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2003, 06:09 PM   #1
JDeV is offline JDeV  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Balance problem - room layout???

I got this huge problem with the balance (left/right sound) of my system. I tried just about everything to find the cause , but no success. I tried swopping the pre-amp outputs, then the amps (monoblocks), then the speakers with cables. Does not matter what I do, the left side is louder then the right side.
Can it be because of my room layout - reflection from the left wall compared to none from the open plan right side??
I am thinking now of splitting up the pre-amp volume controls (ganged stereo pots on XBoSoz) to physically adjust the balance.
Can anybody give me some more insight into this problem and maybe confirm my theory on the room layout.

Thanx to all.

(See attached spliced photos of room layout.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg room.jpg (59.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 22nd September 2003, 06:27 PM   #2
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Well it looks like you have a longer and larger couch on the right. it might be that because there is more damping on that side : O )

maybe move both couches out of the room and see.
Old 22nd September 2003, 06:29 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

One more thing to try- physically swap the speakers. If the imbalance remains, it's either your room or some excessive wax buildup in one ear.
Old 22nd September 2003, 06:36 PM   #4
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Also you have the left speaker more in the corner. but the right is far away from the right corner. ?

did you know you get more bass if there in the corner. maybe move the whole setup over more so it is more centered.

Hide this!Advertise here!