DIY IR Mute switch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2012, 11:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY IR Mute switch

I apologize if this has been covered previously, but I can't seem to find a relevant article.

I have built an amp6 chip amp and everything is great, except that I work from home and the amp is across the room from my desk. When the phone rings, I want to be able to hit an infra-red mute switch to toggle the mute pins on the amp.

I know the right pins, I have IR sender and receiver components, I just don't know how to build a circuit that will toggle the connected state of the mute pins.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

James Haney
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's not really clear what you've got.

If you already have a sender and a receiver, i.e. you press a button on the sender you get a momentary output from the receiver then that's mostly it.

You get a TTL 'D' type latch chip (74xxx74). You connect NOT Q to D. You connect the momentary output to CLOCK IN on the latch. You connect Q to the mute input and you put power on everything, including the latch.

Now every time you push the remote the mute will turn ON or OFF.

If you need a bit more, google 'PIC micro IR decoder', it'll tell you all about codes, carrier frequency and where to get a programmed PIC universal IR decoder.

Hide this!Advertise here!