Quantum Level Process

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
its bogus.

silver and gold both have grain structures and the stuff about gold somehow can remove grain boundaries is just silly, gold obviously also have a crystaline boundary where atoms bond.. for purposes of conductivity electrons will jump across any atom that touches another atom, the grain boundary means only that some of the atoms are misaligned -they still touch each other which is what is required for conductivity.

you could argue that for superthin film, as in a semiconductive chip substrate that this grain boundary could lead to heat but in the case of a cable? the argument is silly.

i think its funny that they claim to eliminate grain boundaries through cryogenic treatment. sure it can affect the materials crystaline bonding, but that doesnt alter the electrion flow, it primarily affects hardness. and uit emphasises grain structures!

sounds like snakeoil.

Hacks and quacks and charlatans, oh my!

The-Wizard-of-Oz-005.jpg

se

The description reminds me of superconductors. The wire can take a certain amount of current, but above that (due to the magnetic field it generates and something-or-other), it is no longer a superconductor. It seems to me this would be a near-ideal fuse.

You are correct, nice thinking... Supers will quench for 3 reasons..temperature too high, current too high, and magnetic field too high. Typically, we plot a 3-d surface with these parameters, and staying below that surface works, exceeding it plops the super back into the normal regime..

They've been working on fault limiters for about half a decade for commercial power transmission applications.

Fault current limiter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are quite a few papers out there, but most I found with google are ones that require payment to view, so I've not added links.

Cheers, jn

Superconductors work in a different way. The crystal imperfections are still there, but the paired electrons don't notice them.

However, can you imagine the fuss in audio when someone actually manages to make a genuine room temperature superconductor? We will all be drowning in snake oil.
I really wasn't trying to say how superconductors work as far as anything to do with crystal imperfections (apparently I shouldn't have quoted that part of your post), only that your words "no resistance" and this sentence triggered the thought:
You need electrical resistance in a fuse (and some thermal resistance) otherwise it doesn't heat up and doesn't act as a fuse.
You are correct, nice thinking... Supers will quench for 3 reasons..temperature too high, current too high, and magnetic field too high. Typically, we plot a 3-d surface with these parameters, and staying below that surface works, exceeding it plops the super back into the normal regime..

They've been working on fault limiters for about half a decade for commercial power transmission applications.

Fault current limiter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are quite a few papers out there, but most I found with google are ones that require payment to view, so I've not added links.

Cheers, jn
Fascinting! Yet another brilliant idea that I'm too late thinking of!

Wikipedia sez:
"Nanotechnology is the study of manipulating matter on an atomic and molecular scale. Generally, nanotechnology deals with developing materials, devices, or other structures possessing at least one dimension sized from 1 to 100 nanometres. Quantum mechanical effects are important at this quantum-realm scale."
A lot of metalurgy takes place at the molecular level, but I doubt that they are doing direct manipulation for any materials used in audio products.

And there's that quantum thing again! 8^)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.